jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (14 posts)

Getting People without HubPages Accounts to Follow You?

1. A K Lambert profile image59
    A K Lambertposted 5 years ago

How can people without a HubPages account follow your work?  Or get notifications?  Also, is the popularity of your page based on the review of HubPages account viewers only, or anyone who checks out your page?

Thanks and Best!
    Abby smile

1. profile image0
      Casimiroposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Abby, are you referring to the number in the lower left corner of a hubber's profile pic? I don't think that is a popularity measure, per se. It reflects a lot of things such as the quality of your hubs, your activity in forums, making comments, etc.  The algorithm is secret so people won't game it.

Can't tell you about the guest viewers. I know they add to your traffic.

A K Lambertposted 5 years agoin reply to this

What I didn't understand was how people without an account can get notifications when you post new hubs? Or how you can get enough popularity so my google adv request is approved and i can start earning commission?

2. relache profile image91
      relacheposted 5 years agoin reply to this

To answer your questions,

1) You'd have to be using some other form of social networking.  Followers here are internal to HubPages only.

2) Same answer as #1

3) Popularity of the page is based on everything, but the most important factors are going to be external traffic and how long those people stay on your page and click on things, not other site users.

So how is the traffic monitored? Thanks for all your help

3. Robert Erich profile image90
      Robert Erichposted 5 years agoin reply to this

AK Lambert, I am glad you are on HubPages! I have had many struggles figuring this all out, and have written several articles from what I have learned. However, the summary is this:

- Only HubPages members can follow your actual hubs. However, if you post your articles on your Facebook or Twitter, people can see them and follow them there (I receive a lot of views from Facebook - just don't post hubs all the time as you may annoy your friends).

- I believe that the article score is based on several things - how long it is, how long people spend reading it, how often it is shared, etc. If it is a good article, the score will go up. I have only had one article at 100 - and that was for a short period of time. A score of 70-90 is good.

Good luck and welcome to Hubpages!

2. Healthy Pursuits profile image92
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 5 years ago

You also have to have a certain number of hubs before you apply for Google Adsense.

1. profile image0

Unless you already have an Adsense account from a pre-Hub life.

Do the amount of comments received on a hub also affect its score?

1. Robert Erich profile image90
        Robert Erichposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I think they do. But more important, the consistency of comments. If you received 50 comments last year, that won't help it much. However, if you receive a couple of comments every week, it will remain high.

3. A K Lambert profile image59
    A K Lambertposted 5 years ago

OK so I guess I need to get more hubs up before I can get AdSense approved! I wish there was a way that people could get email notifications of new hubs even if they don't have an account. Thanks for all the help! I'm so excited to become a part of the great hub pages community!

1. profile image0

Actually, I think there is. It just came to me.

You can burn an RSS feed for your hubs and non-hubbers can subscribe to that. In the old HB profiles you could put a link to your RSS feed on your profile page. Not sure if you can do that now, but you could certainly leave a link at the bottom of each hub for people to click on.

This is my original feed from HB that I burned for my hubs:
      http://hubpages.com/author/casimiro/latest?rss
      Just change casimiro to your HB username

This is what it looks like after burning on feedburner:
      http://feeds.feedburner.com/Casimiro-LatestHubs

You would leave the latter link (which will have a different tail end) in the last text capsule of your hub (highlight the text and use the "chain link" icon to add the URL).

Then readers can click on that link to always get your latest hubs in their RSS reader. Click on my link above and you'll see how mine looks.

Thank you so much that sounds great! I'll try it!

4. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

As mentioned anyone can subscribe to your feed: http://aklambert.hubpages.com/hubs/latest?rss

If you make a feedburner one it will not count those who subscribe right from your profile.

1. profile image0

How is subscribing to one's RSS feed done from the profile page? It used to be there on the old profiles, but I don't see it anywhere on the new profiles..

working