jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

The status code 410

1. chef-de-jour profile image87
    chef-de-jourposted 4 years ago

On Google Webmasters my hubs have suddenly been given a 410. How or why does this happen? My traffic has fallen off a cliff. What's the best thing to do?

1. Matthew Meyer profile image75
      Matthew Meyerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I checked your account and see that you have a few Hubs you purged, but other than that all of them are published.
      Is this related to all your Hubs or a subset?

2. NateB11 profile image93
    NateB11posted 4 years ago

I've had the same problem. I think it happens when a site posts a link to your content but uses the wrong url or when the crawlers search your content before it's given the indexing flag on HP. I've had little luck with this one and comfort myself with Google's assertion that the Not Found error has no effect on page rank. I'd rather get rid of the errors though.

1. chef-de-jour profile image87
      chef-de-jourposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the reply,sorry to hear you've had similar knock on effects. So a typo in the URL can cause this much havoc? Or as you mention the timing of the crawl - this seems a bit random? I wish I had more knowledge of how these things work. There's no evidence of malware or anything, no virus flagged and I hadn't changed anything radically on the hubs - only the tags are different - generated now by HubPages!

3. chef-de-jour profile image87
    chef-de-jourposted 4 years ago

Thanks for the reply.
    I used the 'Mark as Fixed' feature and the hubs have returned, more or less to the ranking they had prior to this 410 business. It would be great if we could actual reasons why codes suddenly appear.

Interesting to note the concerns over the Security Certificate too!! Many hubbers unhappy. Unrest in the camp compounded by Tags and RSS removal = ?

1. Matthew Meyer profile image75
      Matthew Meyerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If the Hubs are published, then they should not return a 410 error code.

Did you have Hubs that were unpublished for a time?

I can't provide specific information as to why this occurred without more details from which to research.  Google products are not devoid of their own problems, so it is feasible that it could have been a crawl issue on Google's end.

If you are still seeing 410 errors for Hubs and would like us to research the issue further, please provide examples of specific Hubs.

4. NateB11 profile image93
    NateB11posted 4 years ago

I would be interested too, in how to resolve the 410 issue. I've had quite a few 410 errors, although mostly for Questions. I would be worried they'd affect my page in some way. I've asked this question a few times, and generally it's been said people think it's a temporary and minor problem, but I don't know. I assumed the Mark as Fixed thing simply was a way to record to keep track of which ones you've worked on, I didn't realize it might fix a problem. I might have to go into Webmaster Tools, see which Hubs have the error.

working