How Many of Your Hubs have been put into idle status?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Skarlet profile image84
    Skarletposted 11 years ago

How Many of Your Hubs have been put into idle status?

A few months ago one of my hubs went into idle and since that time several of my short hubs have transferred to idle.

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

Hello Skarlet,
            This has happened to me several times as well. All you need to do is to edit it a bit. Try changing the summary, make sure you give credit for each picture, spelling, grammar, etc. Any hub, I've noticed so far, can be featured again by doing some simple editing

3. Bobski606 profile image81
    Bobski606posted 11 years ago

About half of mine have been put into idle, however, I haven't been very active on here recently so I'm not surprised at all. I'm going back over them with all my new found knowledge and editing them. Once I've done that they are featured again and away we go.

1. profile image0
      paxwillposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your hubs are really good; you cover topics I would search for and get some use out of.

2. Bobski606 profile image81
      Bobski606posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks paxwill, it's just a shame that so many of them are idled at the moment.

4. John MacNab profile image78
    John MacNabposted 11 years ago

Thirteen - out of 57.   Now and again I read the idle ones, and think 'idle no more.'   Most of the idle ones are about Hubs, and now and again I consider deleting them, but after re-reading them I realise that I like them and I think they're well written, so I leave them alone - perhaps a tweek now and then.

5. Goody5 profile image59
    Goody5posted 11 years ago

This is no big deal, and everyone is experiencing this sort of thing on the hub pages. I have a super quick fix that will get your hub back into the lime light - http://goody5.hubpages.com/hub/Quick-fi … led-status Good luck!

1. Rock_nj profile image89
      Rock_njposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Doesn't the fix you outlined:  change one word, prove how pointless this Idled / Featured Hub thing is?  All it takes to make a Hub worth featuring again is changing one word?  It's about popularity of Hubs rather than quality.  That's what I've seen

2. Goody5 profile image59
      Goody5posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Okay, then this must be why 85,652 hubbers have told the hub pages goodbye just since August 2011.

3. SidKemp profile image86
      SidKempposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Goody - your hub about this, overall, is great. But the quick fix raises a problem. Making a small change reactivates the hub temporarily. But do that too much, and all of your hubs may drop in Google rating.

6. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

Currently none but since I've been here, 2 out of 35. I was able to revive them immediately with editing, i.e., adding content, changing images around, changing titles, and adding polls or rating scales. I can tell now when one is at risk for idling so I start tweaking right away. I have also found the new hubtool helpful in getting me to refine summaries and change titles on several hubs to improve SEO and hopefully prevent non-featured status. I have seen traffic creep up slightly as a result.

7. ChristinS profile image38
    ChristinSposted 11 years ago

The only ones of mine that have idled are the 2 short story essays I posted which I plan to remove and, ironically enough, 2 "exclusive titles" that I wrote lol.  I guess they were exclusive because they are all alone in the world or something... geez.

8. SidKemp profile image86
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

Thanks for asking. I've published 100 hubs, and, until now, I haven't gone back to look at idle status. Your question came just in time for my review. I have 78 active hubs, and 22 idle ones. Of the 22 idle ones, a quick review tells me: 9 are topics I would expect to idle, such as about HubPages or purely spiritual. 5 are early hubs that I would need to edit and improve. For 2, the problem is clearly the title - I created the title before I knew how to use Google Adwords for title optimization. 6 surprised me; I'll review and improve them and see what happens!

9. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 11 years ago

Loads! At one point I counted over 20. I tried tweaking them but many got idled again.These days I just end up moving them to another site.

10. mattforte profile image88
    mattforteposted 11 years ago

Since the idle hub program was released, I have not seen a single one of my hubs idle. Ever.

11. profile image0
    Lizam1posted 11 years ago

I did a while back have several snooze buttons but none now.  I am wondering if there is somewhere else that I should be looking for the idle status.  I have an increasing number of featured hubs which show up on the my account page, just not the idle sign that I saw before on a few.  I have gone over some of the hubs that were not featured and tweaked and that has helped revive them.

12. Faith A Mullen profile image80
    Faith A Mullenposted 11 years ago

None for me yet, but I may not have been here long enough yet to have it happen. I am still learning to effectively use SEO, so I won't be surprised if some of mine end up needing tweaking.

13. profile image0
    chrisinhawaiiposted 11 years ago

Like Goody5, I've found that getting an idled hub featured again only requires changing a word.  But I've heard from others that hubs that are only changed a tiny bit like that usually end up idled again before long, and I've experienced that with some of the hubs that I tweaked in that way.

It's not just a quality thing.  It's a popularity thing.  Google's computer programs can't tell a competent writer from an untalented hack, so they rely on humans to tell them what's good -- via likes, shares, +1s, tweets, and backlinks from relevant sites.

So to keep hubs featured in the long run?  I don't thinks it's a big secret.  Promote them.  Keep getting quality links from relevant sites and social media.

Note:  I'm assuming up front that the hubs are of high quality to begin with.

14. peachpurple profile image80
    peachpurpleposted 11 years ago

I have 21 hubs idle out of 96 hubs. I did some changes on a couple of the hubs but still the same status. I will try again to change the details, add videos, polls and change the title  too.

15. profile image0
    paxwillposted 11 years ago

A lot of mine have been idle at some point, I didn't keep track of how many.  At first I was making minor cosmetic changes to re-feature them, but then I just decided it was better to unpublish them and post them elsewhere. It's not really passive income if you have to babysit your hubs!

All of the idles I put on Infobarrel are getting more search traffic than they were getting on HubPages, so I'm inclined to think the problem is more with HP and not so much with the writers.

16. Rock_nj profile image89
    Rock_njposted 11 years ago

The last two days, HubPages has unFeatured / idled about 20 of my Hubs.  It's all about popularity, not quality.  I will now spend time getting them featured again, when I could have spent it writing a new Hub.  Not a fan of this feature.  A gentle reminder would be useful, but the way they do it is just time consuming, and the NOINDEX tag is not soon forgotten by Google, even if you get back in good with HubPages.  You have to Fetch your domain on Google to get them to start looking at these Hubs again.

17. TheDatingMom profile image61
    TheDatingMomposted 11 years ago

I don't have any in idle.  I think it has less to do with layout and writing skill than  traffic and readership.  Or am I wrong?  That's just a conjecture on my part.

1. Rock_nj profile image89
      Rock_njposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It appears to have everything to do with traffic, which strikes me as being unfair.  I have well written hubs that get idled because they are about obscure topics, and other popular hubs of the same quality that never get idled.

18. moronkee profile image70
    moronkeeposted 11 years ago

Thanks for the question. I had one published and later, It was unpublished. I made the necessary corrections but HP didn't approve it so I moved it to another site.

19. Theophanes profile image88
    Theophanesposted 11 years ago

I have 124 hubs. I had quite a few idle, maybe 15 or so, when I started to add links to other similar articles at the bottom. Since linking them together in this manner my visitor count has gone up and I only have three idle, all of which were rather ehhh to begin with. I have one unpaid article I adore and was happy to rescue it from an idle state as well. It appears to be doing really well.

20. TerryK81 profile image60
    TerryK81posted 11 years ago

A couple of them; I have others that I am going to "upgrade".  Is the idle status maybe due to a lot of other hubs bearing the same topic are already in play mode? It can't be because they are bad, because I know everybody on this site has come across at least 10 topics/questions that make you think twice.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)