About Image Placement

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Ruth Lanhamposted 11 years ago

I read on the forums that you shouldn't put an image in the first text pod and you should put Amazon in the second one.  Is this true and if so, why?  Sorry if I missed the answers but I really did look.  Thanks wink

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Opinions are mixed on this one.  Some people say that having a big picture at the top of your Hub, it can  hook the reader (because people are so visual these days).

I have a problem with that, for two reasons  One is that on most screens, a large picture means the reader can't see any of my text - so if the image doesn't impress them, I've lost them!  I trust my ability to write a "hook" in my first paragraph more than I trust my choice of photos. So my first capsule is always text, or text with a photo floated right.

The other consideration is that part of Google's quality assessment is whether you have enough information "above the fold" (i.e. in the area you can see without scrolling down).  It's one of the reasons most sites don't have deep picture headers or big advertising banners at the top of their sites any  more.   To Google's robots, a picture is only a line of text, so it concerns me that Google won't think that's enough content.  Another reason to ensure I have some text in that area.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Re: the picture, you need some text to be above the fold so the reader can start getting the content they came for without scrolling down.  Otherwise it can look confusing or spammy.

1. profile image0
      Ruth Lanhamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So if I have text and an image in the first hub it's ok?

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I generally opt for the first capsule to be plain text with a clear subheading.  But it is a matter of your taste/technique.

4. profile image0
    Ruth Lanhamposted 11 years ago

Thank you so much.  This has been very helpful.

5. SAM ELDER profile image56
    SAM ELDERposted 11 years ago

To Google's robots, a picture is only a line of text, so it concerns me that Google won't think that's enough content.  Another reason to ensure I have some text in that area.......
    I dont think google see a picture and translate it into the text with no keywords, especially when every picture is named and uploaded with specific text, so if you give correct name to your picture, I think it will catch more traffic (extra keywords for google) appearing not only in website results but also in images result of searching machine. What concerns placing picture in front of the text, it depends on each person taste. I prefer to present something to people the way I like it to be presented to me....
    one picture = thousands words.
    But im just new in all this........

6. ForEverVirtuous profile image61
    ForEverVirtuousposted 11 years ago

Just to comment on the picture thing. I have found that revising and creating new hubs to have the source under the picture does give the Hub a higher scored and is looked at as better quality overall because the source is cited. And as a new hubber, I did this and found that it works. The learning center also says that referencing the source as 'Goggle images' won't cut it. You need to click on the image and look at where the picture originally came from and cite it from there. I hope this helps somewhat.

1. profile image0

I just this very day figured that out.  I'm in the process of revising for that reason (as well as a few others).  Thanks for your response!

2. Marisa Wright profile image85

....and also make sure that the original site permits you to use the photo.  ALL images on the internet are copyright unless stated otherwise.  So if you see a photo with no statement about a licence or saying it's free to reuse, it's illegal to use it.

1. Larry Fields profile image68
        Larry Fieldsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Marisa wrote:
        "....and also make sure that the original site permits you to use the photo.  ALL images on the internet are copyright unless stated otherwise."

I'd like to add that 'advanced' Google images searches have an option for showing only free-to-reuse pictures.

1. profile image0

Lots of good information...thanks!

2. Marisa Wright profile image85

However Google does say you must still check with the original site, to find out what their requirements are for attribution AND to make sure it is free for reuse.  The search is getting better but it does still get it wrong occasionally.

Most free to use sites do require some kind of acknowledgment and usually specify what form that takes.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)