Posting previews and duplicate content

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)
  1. DDS profile image79
    DDSposted 10 years ago

I want to link to some of my hubpage articles from my own site, but want to provide my readers a bit of a priview.  Is a paragraph or so leading into a link of the actual hub article all fine and dandy or will it make hubpages all grumbly and send me warnings etc.

Just to be clear these are my own hubs eing linked to from my own site. They are being previwed on the other site but not posted as stand alone articles. (I think you all get the gist)

so good or evil?

1. Simone Smith profile image86
      Simone Smithposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Just a quick word from staff: A paragraph or so won't be bad, especially if the Hubs you're linking to contain a lot of content.
      That said, I recommend writing original summaries for the Hubs you link to. big_smile

1. DDS profile image79
        DDSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ok thanks Simone! (and everyone else who helped me on this one!)

2. paiva25 profile image81
    paiva25posted 10 years ago

So long as your preview isn't a paragraph copy pasted directly from your hub, you shouldn't have a problem.
    If you copy paste a chunk of your hub to use it in the preview, then your hub will show up as duplicate and copied content.
    Or another thing you can do is after copy pasting a piece of your hub, de-index either your hub or your webpage, either one by using webmaster tools.

1. DDS profile image79

That was what I was afraid of.  Understandable that HP would want as much original content as possible, but I wonder if this is taking the concept to an extreme.
      As we know there is no actual 'penalty' from google, and surely book review sites etc. can rank sufficiently well..
      Oh well, at worse case you do suggest a work around which doesnt quite allow me to use the 'continue reading' link but does allow room for some sort of segue into the hubs..

Thanks for getting back to me!

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

How do you define "no penalty from Google" for duplicate content?

As long as it's just the first 1-2 sentences from your hub I don't see a big deal, but it'd want to be along with other, different content so you're not competing with yourself in the SERPs.

3. DDS profile image79
    DDSposted 10 years ago

google says there is no penalty. I am not saying that it doesnt hurt, but from what I was reading it has more to do with how google crawls sites than google making you stay late after class. (this is not of course to be confused with lifted/stolen content which is I would hope obviously wrong on all counts)

No having said all that, whatever rules HP has are the rules that HP has and I'll do my best to stay on the good side of them.

1-2 sentences may actually do the trick though...

The only issue I see is that Google will pick one piece of content (usually whichever one it thinks is original) and rank that highest. So your other piece of content is essentially competing against itself. If you're going to repost something, you may as well change it enough so you can go for a completely different keyword. smile But yes, 1-2 sentences is good. Quite a few hubbers seem to have blogs that link to their hubs.

1. DDS profile image79

OK, yes that was my understanding of it as well. I might be willing to take a little hit to get things to look/behave the way I want them too.

I have dreams of a better user experience for the few readers I have.

4. jlongrc profile image85
    jlongrcposted 10 years ago

I know a lot of folks, especially people that do a lot of freelancing and the like, will have a blog where they frequently link to their content.  What I'm unclear about is whether they actually expect people to read their "John Doe writes stuff" blog or not.

1. DDS profile image79

Well sure why not?  I suppose it depends on whether it is actually any good and about something people want to read about. 
      At the end of the day though I think in the long term you are better off writing what you write about and worry less about gaming the system. 
      Did you have trouble getting people to read your 'john Doe writes stuff' blog?

I've never had one. I don't really promote my work - I write it, add an MFP and then leave it to do what it wants.

I figure that if it sucks, any promotion I put in is wasted. If it's good enough to get traffic, my tiny amount of promotion won't help anyway. Either way, promotion is a waste of time big_smile

2. jlongrc profile image85
        jlongrcposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Haha, I haven't bothered creating such a blog because I couldn't imagine anyone would ever want to read it! big_smile It seems nice as an intellectual exercise, but I wasn't sure if people really got significant traffic on those blogs.

1. DDS profile image79

Well I think it likely helps if you write on a specific topic or range of topics. After that, it's all a matter of whether people like you, your writing and what you have to say. (or in some cases hating you might help as well)  when they come across you.

I think very hard to build an audience though, but I am not basing that on anything..

5. Writer Fox profile image32
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

Post what HubPages calls the "summary" of your Hub. (This is actually the 'description meta tag' and what Google calls the 'snippet.')  That's going to be duplicated all over the Internet anyway.  Write your summary to encourage viewers to click-through to read the entire Hub.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)