jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (5 posts)

Ads on Hubs

1. sallybea profile image98
    sallybeaposted 4 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8121928_f248.jpg
    I am curious, I have spent a good deal of time recently looking for some holiday accommodation in Paris,   Suddenly the Ads which appear on many of many of my Hubs are being generated using the same site I have been using to find this accommodation.  Are Ads placed on my hubs really generated this way - even if the subject is completely unrelated to the subject of the Hub?

1. Susana S profile image91
      Susana Sposted 4 years ago in reply to this

There are a variety of different ad options for advertisers on Google's display network. One that is very popular (because they tend to convert well) is a type of ad called a "remarketing campaign" - this is what you're seeing on your hubs.

This page gives a good overview of the types of ads you might see on your pages and the types of targeting an advertiser might use: http://www.google.co.uk/ads/displaynetw … tools.html

(See the tabs on the left of the page to read about the different ad types).

1. sallybea profile image98
        sallybeaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The ads I am seeing are ads for the site where I have been looking for accommodation in Paris - they are completely unrelated to the content of the actual Hubs I have written.   It feels a bit like Big Brother is watching what I am doing on my computer and putting that content onto my Hub Ads

1. Barbara Kay profile image86
          Barbara Kayposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Google really does follow you around and keep the info. That is why you are finding the ad over and over again.

2. Susana S profile image91
          Susana Sposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes, that's what's called remarketing.

If you look at the 2nd link I gave you and the tabs on the left, you'll see the different ad types that you might see on your Hubpages (or in fact any pages that use adwords display advertising):

contextual - these are ads based on website content

placement - these ones are when an advertiser chooses specific websites to place adds on

remarketing - these are the ones that you've seen based on a website you've previously visited

interest categories - etc etc

topic

geographic and language

demographic

working