jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Comments and SEO

1. electronician profile image86
    electronicianposted 3 years ago

The comments capsule in hubpages lets you choose whether to display all comments or just the most recent 5, 20, 50 etc. Does anyone know which option, if any, is better for SEO?

I think I'm right in saying that comments can affect the ranking of a page, and I'm wondering if showing all comments so you have lots of extra text for Google to find keywords and stuff in is best, or if it would be better to just have a few so Google can see the content being updated and the user interaction, but without diluting the actual content with a large amount of text in the form of comments?

2. Writer Fox profile image79
    Writer Foxposted 3 years ago

Before HubPages changed the system, every comment made by a Hubber gave a followed link back to the Hubber's profile page.  So, if your Hub had 50 comments from Hubbers, the other things you linked to (like your other related Hubs) would have a greatly diminished amount of PageRank passing through.

Now, only logged-in Hubbers see a clickable link for a commenter but search engines cannot.  Because of this change, I see no reason at all to limit the number of visible comments on a single Hub.

Each comment adds new content to your Hub, which search engines will notice.  Even though many people don't like the short, 'Great Hub' type comments, even these will give you an opportunity to respond and add a little more keyword content to the webpage. The only comments you really must remove are those which are obviously spam, obscene, contain links, etc.

1. electronician profile image86
      electronicianposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for sharing your wisdom, I was thinking it was probably best to leave it set to publish all comments.

1. Writer Fox profile image79
        Writer Foxposted 3 years agoin reply to this

That's what I do, too.

working