jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

What Is This Site???

1. Suzanne Day profile image97
    Suzanne Dayposted 3 years ago

Found a weird proxy website for Hubpages here (put the dot in after proxybay):

http://proxybaydotnl/browse.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fhubpages.com%2Ftopics%2Fall%2F1&b=4

When I tried to go to the main domain of proxybay dot nl it ends up even more confusing and I don't know what it's supposed to be doing but it looks like it's in German.

Can anyone shed light on this?

1. The Examiner-1 profile image79
      The Examiner-1posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I noticed words on the German/Netherland page - proxy, mirrors, pirate, and a few others which I do not remember. However, I did find another page that seemed to have alternatives - U.K., USA, etc., on the usa page it was called "The Pirate Bay" and had games, etc.

2. grand old lady profile image90
    grand old ladyposted 3 years ago

This is totally absurd! But my guess is that it's a proxy site so that if you want to log into any site or do research on anything and don't want the site owner to trace you, then you can do it using this site. It brings scary thoughts to me like research on bombs and stuff, hope I'm wrong.

It's kind of like Wikileaks where people could anonymously expose secret government documents, and the only source people would know is Wikileaks. But in the end, they were able to discover the original source of some documents and I think one guy was even jailed.

So my guess is, maybe it's a site that allows you to look things up anonymously because for some reason, they don't want people to know you're looking it up.

Hope I'm wrong.

1. Suzanne Day profile image97
      Suzanne Dayposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I hope you're right! At first I thought it was a way to copy entire large websites. But I really hope I'm wrong....!

1. grand old lady profile image90
        grand old ladyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

That would be criminal. I hope that isn't it. Good thing you published it on Hub Pages so that they can file charges if there is any theft involved here.

working