There is Something Curious About Today's "Hub Of the Day"

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (26 posts)
  1. God shet profile image60
    God shetposted 9 years ago

As you all know, today's HOD is : "Celebrating Book Lovers Day". When I look at this hub from (the right-hand side of my) 'News Feed' - it says that '308' people are 'following' this hub.

But when I go to the actual hub - it says that only '10' people are following it. The hub contains total 12 comments so far.

Is that a system error?

1. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The hub in question did not say 305 followers.

After the photo is the title, then the name of the hubber to the left, and on the right is the same green follow button that every profile page on HP has. On the button it says "Follow 305" the way it would on all profiles.

That green button has always represented the followers of hubbers and has never represented the followers of a hub. So I am curious how many people actually misunderstand that particular feature as it represents on HOTD.

God shetposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"That green button has always represented the followers of hubbers and has never represented the followers of a hub."

~ Seems like you've become quite conditioned to it.

I don't think I was "conditioned" to anything (sounds too much like brainwash).

'Conditioning' (from Dictionary):  "A learning process in which a person's behavior becomes dependent on the occurrence of a stimulus in his/her environment."

Same thing, brainwash...lol. big_smile

2. Sed-me profile image79
              Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It never ceases to amaze me; the things that ppl choose to make issues of.
              There are so many things in life that really matter, I can't imagine this is one of them.
              But I guess we're all different.

2. Alastar Packer profile image72
      Alastar Packerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Very cerebral thread, GS. You make some good points.

Cardisa is a serious pro and has been writing on HP and elsewhere for many, many years.

And lastly, my dictionary has " the process of training to become physically fit by a regimen of exercise, diet, and rest" as the number one meaning for conditioning.

Thanks Alastar.

Maybe HP should consider removing that Button or making it more definable. I think that maybe a lot of people are mistaking it for "follow this hub" link rather than the purpose it was intended.

1. Alastar Packer profile image72
          Alastar Packerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Your most welcome, Carol Lee. Sometimes I forget what a learning process HP was in the beginning. GS brought up a good topic and perhaps a change could be made without too much trouble from an engineering aspect?

I hope a moderator is following this thread. He has brought up a good point. In any case a follow button is never needed for the feed page. I am sure HP would not like to encourage arbitrary following (something they have discouraged before), nor would it be productive to follow a hub you haven't read; so then the follow button serves no read purpose there.

If HP wishes to show how many followers a hubber has they could use a similar feature like the Topics pages, where it shows in brackets beside the hubber's name the amount pf followers.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

The '305' refers to the number of followers for the author.

It's a very misleading way to 'advertise' a hub. It seems as if 305 people are 'following' that hub. It never attracted my attention, mostly because I do not take the HOD feature too seriously. My eye just went there today, and after spending a few seconds of 'conscious' attention, I was surprised to find that the actual hub contains 12 comments and are followed by only 10 people.

The 'error' is a serious distortion of the reality of that hub's popularity.

(That number was '308' just a while ago.)

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

The number possibly decreased after a few people thought they were clicking to follow the hub and it went to her profile page.

It might've been that they decided to 'unfollow', after realizing that.

4. Jayne Lancer profile image92
    Jayne Lancerposted 9 years ago

To be honest, I'd never taken any notice of that number as it appears on my feed, but now you mention it, I see how it could easily be misunderstood. It could pertain to followers of the hub or the hubber.

That what I've been saying over here.

5. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 9 years ago

The other point is this and maybe its a matter of me being brainwashed...lol

In order to follow a hub you must first have had some activity on the hub, by clicking the vote buttons or commenting. Hubpages does not have a feature for you to follow a hub you haven't yet read, so it would be counterproductive for HP to have the "follow this hub" button on the feed page. This would not encourage people to actually read the HOTD. Just saying.........

1. Jayne Lancer profile image92
      Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's very true, but wouldn't it be senseless to follow a hubber whose profile you've never seen and whose hubs you've never read? Should you follow a hubber just because one of their hubs was selected HOTD? I'd think the button is there to indicate popularity, but what if the hubber has only a few followers? So, I wonder why the button is there.

That 'button' attracts the eye - doesn't it?

I'd never actually noticed it before, but I don't take much notice of the HOTD feature, anyway.

I think what's strange about having it there is that we're encouraged to follow fellow hubbers discriminately.

I too never took it very seriously. But the 'numbers' have always kind of attracted my eyes. "306 followers" - now that's something always worthwhile to check out.

Yes, that number indicates popularity. But what if it were a newish hubber with only a few followers? What good would the number do then?

In that case, that button would simply 'encourage' us to visit the 'Hub of the Day'. It's better to have some 'numbers' than no number at all. Do you understand what is meant by that?

Yes, I think that's what it is.

2. Cardisa profile image88

I agree with that Jayne. It is senseless to follow hubbers without actually having read their hubs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)