For those who are interested

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (16 posts)
  1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/12026629_f520.jpg
    Here is a screen shot of the big page view drop I had to deal with last August.  I wanted to share this a long time ago, but just recently learned how to do it.  Look at the August 25-27 date...down  90% within two days, and I still have never been able to figure out what happened.  Views still have not come back anywhere near these figures, nor has my income.

1. NateB11 profile image87
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Looks similar to what happened to me in September.

TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

The difference is that this happened one month prior to all of the updates and changes!

2. CelebrateUSA profile image75
      CelebrateUSAposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Fascinating! Yes, when I started here I thought everything would grow. Well, sadly the growth has not been progressive thanks to Panda, etc... It saddens me how dramatic the changes have been from a writer's perspective. From an entrepreneurial spirit, I feel the push to hosting your own blog is where Google wants to be but then there is the interrupter called Pinterest.
      Out on the water, the jet skis are called mosquitoes which from a blogger's perspective, I consider the Pinterest to be more of a vampire sucking the life out of good content.
      When I view Alexa and the traffic out on Pinterest, I see a massive dropoff late September so my vampire theory doesn't hold water.
      And the graph of Alexa traffic for HubPages and Pinterest is almost identical in its massive drop off. So this was obviously crafted by Google.
      So, this leads me to the ultimate question, who gained the traffic? The individual blogs?

If you take a look at some of the forums where Marisa Wright comments on this issue, you will see that her take is that those views went to new, stand alone websites.  Leave it to Father Google to stick it to those of us who have been working for years to gain ranking!

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I didn't say they went to NEW standalone websites.  I said they went to standalone websites.  It's likely that older standalone websites benefitted more than new ones, because they have built their ranking over the years.

Sorry for the misquote...but someone (I thought it was you) has stated that newer sites are doing better than older ones.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
              Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I haven't seen that stated anywhere, I'd be curious if it was the case.

My ballet site, which benefitted so much from the recent Panda, is about five years old.

3. peachpurple profile image80
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

wow, you had 1000 views! Its ok, eventhough you didn't have 1000 views now, still at least 200-300 views right? Me? I have 100 views daily. Worst than you.

Yes, and some days more.  I had topped 200,000 total views before this event happened and was gaining more every day.

I do not know why Google came after me, but the crawl back is long and hard...and very disheartening.

4. OldRoses profile image93
      OldRosesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You are looking at the wrong stats.  If you look in the top left corner of the graph, you will see "sessions" which counts how many people looked at your hubs.  You need to click on the arrow to get the dropdown menu and choose "page views" to get the actual page views.  That is a very different number.  That is why people often say that Google and HP have different traffic stats.  They don't.  Users are comparing different stats.

Regardless of that, I was getting up to 1200 page views daily before this happened as per my HP stats page.

2. briangragg profile image62
    briangraggposted 9 years ago

You need to check your content and share it on some authority sites.

briangragg:

I'm not sure what it is you are trying to say.  I AM an authority on the RV lifestyle because I have been living it for more than 50 years!  I DO share my work both on G+ and Pinterest.  I have tried writing a blog and while many people read it, nobody spent a dime, so I gave it up after six months.  I do not like working my butt off for free!

In many instances I am able to give insights that some of those "authority sites" have no clue about because few of them have my background or experience.

Before my views dropped I was getting up to 1200 of them daily and making three figures...now I am lucky to get 200 - 300 and the income, while still there, is much, much less.

So, with regards to your suggestion, I'm guessing I am missing something here and would like you to give me more detail about what you said.  At this point, anything would help.

1. CelebrateUSA profile image75
        CelebrateUSAposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think Google's latest round needs to be tweeked yet. Your content is good - I have reviewed it. You are not missing anything. I believe Google is headed in a different direction  - sadly the direction is away from us.

I don't know but have heard and LindaSmith1 appears to perhaps concur that this push is to move us to our own hosted sites. I find this disconcerting because I find HubPages a wonderful place to learn but maybe HP will only end up being a first chapter for many writers.

3. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

I have seen it over and over that people are doing better with their own blogs and sites than they are here on HP.  I know that one of my blogs that does not have a lot of content, is doing better than I am on HP.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)