I'd like feedback on my Hub: How To Putt From Off The Golf Green

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Marcel W profile image60
    Marcel Wposted 8 years ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my Hub How To Putt From Off The Golf Green.

I already added new photos, included more sub-titles and removed a callout module that was not spammy but … who knows if it could be considered so? After all that I still get emails from HubPages recommending to remove spammy elements from my hub in order to get it featured. The funny thing is that this is perhaps my best hub. It’s innovative because it is about something I discovered, has a useful tip for golf players, has 2 photos I shot just to explain the concept and its content can’t be found anywhere else. It has 2 links, as all my other hubs and an Amazon module that I would gladly remove if I didn’t have seen somewhere that Amazon modules were good to help hubs get featured. I’m beginning to get tired of playing this game with HubPages team.

What can I do to improve? Thanks!

Marcel White

2. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 8 years ago

If you ever actually read the Hub rules, which is what HubPages has presumed with their emails, you'd quickly realize that promoting your own eBook is the spammy element.

Your Hub is either overly or purely promotional.

3. Marcel W profile image60

As a matter of fact I read the Hub rules but, because it was in the appropriate context, always considered that reference as one of the two permitted links. I already removed it. Thanks for making clear just with a short sentence what remained obscure after several six-paragraph emails from the HubPages team.

1. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad that helped you. 

Here's the take-away: if you are promoting yourself outright, or making money without giving HubPages a cut, you won't make it past QAP most times.

Sadly, HubPages long ago established very poor site user feedback habits, and they continue to make more work for both users and admin to this very day.

Marcel Wposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi relache,
        I’m sorry to disturb but I got another 6-paragraph email from the HubPages team and this means that the problem persists. Would you be so kind as to check my Hub again? I’m almost done with HubPages!

4. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 8 years ago

I'm guessing that it is the links to your site, because your site exists only to sell your ebook. You are probably being caught on one or both of:

Reasons why hubs are moderated:
    "Appear to be solely designed to procure backlinks"
    "Solely promote a products [sic], site, good, or service"
    http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/publ … d_22732854

Perhaps you are right but, if you are, the situation is very funny because I had articles on my site about the same subjects and decided to remove the articles and create hubs. But I moved a step forward and created links (five!) on my site pointing to my hubs. In other words, my site is promoting HubPages and my hubs can’t have links to my site?

This means that the hub was not “solely designed to procure backlinks”.

On the other hand, no one can honestly say that the hub “solely promote a products [sic], site, good, or service” because it has 880 words, is highly informative and has a new helpful tip that I discovered and can’t be found anywhere else.

Any new ideas?

1. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If you're hell-bent on using HP for a backlink, you could invent a new persona and create a new account here, then write a review of your book pretending to be a completely unbiased entity.  Sometimes in book reviews they let you link to the item, sometimes they don't, no guarantees. 

(Just don't tell anyone about your new account because someone might tattle!)

Honestly, I think you'll find the effort is not worth it since HP is a weak promotional tool.  Much better to use your own site, Twitter, FB, Pinterest, LinkedIn, etc. to promote your books.

No, I’m not hell-bent on using HP for a backlink and I also don’t use SEO black hat techniques. My site is a hobby, I’m not a writer and I wrote the ebook just for the pleasure of saying something new, discussing new ideas and concepts with my readers and help golfers all around the world. I have been doing pretty well.

2. WriteAngled profile image73
        WriteAngledposted 8 years agoin reply to this

880 words is well below the 1500+ that is considered desirable here, together with masses of photos, polls, videos and other fillers.

I'm not condoning those requirements, just stating them.

5. Marcel W profile image60

Well, I guess I got all the help that you, my fellow hubbers, could provide.

I came from Squidoo and got 7 hubs featured. More than one year later one of those hubs became not featured because of insufficient traffic. Sad thing, as I discovered later, because it was not indexed and as a consequence was removed from the serps pages of search engines. Not even if someone googled the hub title was possible to get the hub listed. This is unfair!

Later, a second hub, this one we have been talking about, became not featured on the grounds of quality. I refuse to add worthless text just to make it bigger and I believe the content quality is good unless a golf player can prove the opposite. I won’t also remove the two links because they provide useful information for hub readers and also because my site has links pointing to HP. The conclusion is obvious:

I’m done with HubPages!

All the best, my fellow hubbers!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)