I'd like feedback on my Hub: Heaven's Gate ( what will you do when you get there

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (50 posts)
  1. davidkaluge profile image58
    davidkalugeposted 7 years ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my Hub Heaven's Gate ( what will you do when you get there?). What can I do to improve? Thanks!

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You've written 260 hubs - so you should be able to spot the issues right away.

Text needs splitting up into smaller capsules with sub-headings. You don't have a relevant image. The layout is poor.

https://hubpageshelp.com/standards/Lear … iting-Tips

davidkalugeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You made the first comment here and I have already bookmarked the link you sent so I can visit it later. It means I welcome your criticism and I did not respond negatively. That is not the same with the other criticism, as you called it.

2. jackclee lm profile image81
      jackclee lmposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The sure way to get featured is to follow my hub "How to create a hub and get featured". The trick is to know what the automated QAP of HubPages expect and provide it...It has little to do with the content subject matter... I proved it with my hub on "Ideal debate format". Do a search and read up, you will understand.

You made the best contribution that will benefit a new hubber and others who are not aware of such. That should be the reason this forum was born.

2. davidkaluge profile image58

You made the best contribution that will benefit new hubbers and old ones who are not aware of such. I trust it is why this forum was born.

2. Rupert Taylor profile image96
    Rupert Taylorposted 7 years ago

Are any of your Hubs featured? I'd be surprised if they are if the quality of English in this one is typical of your writing.

"Won’t you wonder “are am actually at the right place (heaven’s gate)?” Should be "am I actually ...

"... to see if there would open easily for you to enter?" Should be "to see if they would ...

"Most of the freedom humanity and Nations enjoy today were dreams that was started by some men." How about "Most of the freedoms humanity and nations enjoy today were dreams that were started by people."?

Some sentences are garbled in such a way that they are hard to understand. Example: "Few people did not only reached the heaven’s gate but they also stood there or even lay down knocking and waiting patiently for it to open, no matter how long it would take, because they are certain it is the gate they dreamt of, desired, and would love to enter."

Your comment is understood. However, I only tried the suggested link of "I'd like a feedback..." it is unfortunate that you decided to be rude than to assist like the first comment. It is an old hub and I am aware that I have to revisit most of the old hubs. The errors in the hub can be avoided by spending more time on hub and read it over again. That is how I am able to get featured hubs. I usually go back and revisit some hubs when time permits. Thanks.

3. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
    PaulGoodman67posted 7 years ago

Like others have said, it's pretty low quality.  No pictures or interactivity, such as polls.  No videos.  Big blocks of text not broken up.  There's lots of great advice at the HP help center.

I suspect that some of your hubs have not been written by yourself.  I reported one for copied content, but I suspect there may be many more!  If you aren't prepared to obey copyright laws then it's probably best for yourself and HP that you cease writing/copying and pasting, and delete your profile.

I will like to know the hub you mentioned on copyright issues. Must all hubs have pictures, videos etc? I think you do not have any thing to contribute.

You made no contribution here. I would like to know the hub you mentioned on copyright issues. If I spend the same time you spend writing a hub then you will know that you are not better than I am. Moreover, you should be reasonable to know that we are learning and some people here use English as a second language and typing errors do occur.

Please do not request feedback if you don't want it. You ask why a hub is not featured and you are given honest and straightforward responses. No-one is going to sugar-coat the truth. Having 260 hubs, you should be tough enough to take criticism. It's how you learn and progress.

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
          DrMark1961posted 7 years agoin reply to this

With 260 articles, I guess we cannot call him a ruebie. How about just rude?
          Although, he has had an impressive page count. Only 7 years and he already has 10,000. Wow!

I wonder what you are doing here.

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
              DrMark1961posted 7 years agoin reply to this

This is a public forum. You put this question out there and anyone can read it and be amazed at your rudeness.

Don't be amazed, we are family. I am only responding to those who say I steal other people's work. You know what that means. The first comment here said poor layout etc I did not leave any bad comment on that. It is easier to say, there are mistakes in your articles and bad English but not saying I steal other people's work.

Is it criticism when someone says you steal other people's work? The second comment pointed out some mistakes which is understandable and welcomed. You have to think again.

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
        PaulGoodman67posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Why am I offering criticism?

1.  The poster requests feedback on why his article(s) might fail the HP QAP.
        2.  It's a public forum and anyone can participate as long as they obey some basic rules and standards of behavior.

I am always suspicious when someone who clearly has an unsteady command of English grammar and spelling can also apparently produce technical articles using a completely different "voice" with a higher standard of English.  If you wrote all your articles yourself, then you have nothing to worry about and my suspicions are unfounded.

It is not criticism because you claim I steal other people's work. I have research works that I spent months to write and there are featured hubs. You do not expect the same when I write and publish an inspirational hub within 1 or 2 hours. The longer time one stays on a hub the better. There are better ways of doing criticism, as you termed it.

If you are a writer then you should know that people have different talents in writings. That is why a writer can write on different genre. Moreover, some people can easily change their writing style. Next time the voice changes then check the type of work. Some suggested using "Some people" not "some men" well it is a matter of style. William Shakespeare must have been a victim as well.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
            PaulGoodman67posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Your English is not good enough for writing articles online.  You don't appreciate how bad it is, because you don't understand the language well enough.  Comparing yourself to William Shakespeare does you no favors. 

I can forgive your inadequate language skills, however.  I do find plagiarism pretty despicable, though, so I hope that you really are a doctor/medical expert and wrote all those other technical hubs.  When I picked out paragraphs and googled them, I found that they also featured on other people's websites.  Either you are a plagiarist, or they are.

Well, it is a fact that not all those who are English know the standard English usage. However, you are not in the position to decide a good English because you are not an expert in it. We have professors of English who can teach you better. It is just that you have a negative mindset if not you will read some of the comments on my hubs where people sought permission to use my work. There are many of them on the comment.  I wrote most of the research work alone while those that involved team work was stated on the title. You do not tell me what style to use in writing or who to compare with. It is unfortunate that someone who used they and there correctly in the same article would be attacked for using it wrongly in a single sentence. Even those without brains should know.
              Like you noted, as a medical expert, I do not spend the same time you spend writing a hub because I am not writing for the money. But whenever I put my time in it that is where you see the difference.
              I started hub pages when you can't publish a work already on any other site. It will be spotted and the hubber informed. Then hubpages was not a money making site. That was when I joined.

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

If English is your second language, I'm afraid HubPages is not the place for you until you have achieved a very high level of fluency.  It is not the place to learn or improve your English!   HubPages wants articles which are written in fluent colloquial English to please its main audience, which is native English speakers.

If you feel you have a message to share, then you should consider moving your Hubs to your own blog, or join forums where your English will not be a stumbling block.

Typing errors do occur but there is no excuse for them in a Hub. As a writer, it's your job to check for those before you publish and it's easily done if you write in a word processing program and then transfer to HubPages.

Well, it is a fact that not all those who are English know the standard English usage.There are English professors who can teach you better English. Therefore you are wrong. Moreover, people have the right to speak out no matter how they can air their voices. 
          I am aware that my problem is read my hubs over and over again before publishing. Those that I read over are those I used for academic purposes. An inspiration just comes and I write without reading it over and over again. That is spending more time on the hub.
          There are instances I wondered if I actually wrote a hub I published because I saw some mistakes I did not know was there. The best is to leave the hub and come back to it after some days by then it is easier to pick out errors.
          I started on hubpages when it was not a money making site. I joined it as a place where everyone is free to air his or her voice. You won't decide who stays on hubpages because you are making money thereby denying others their right. However, the site improved by choosing to feature quality hubs. That alone should tell any writer who wants more to improve on his/her hub. That is why when I want a hub featured I go back to it and work on it.
          The world is a big place for anyone to be silent because of inadequate command of English.

1. wilderness profile image94
            wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry, but you did not start on HubPages when it was not a money making site.  HubPages was never a philanthropic, altrustic site; it has always been about returning a profit for it's founders, and that means making money. 

That HP was generous in providing server space to those that wished to write without the aim of making money is to their credit, but when that generosity began to destroy the primary purpose it was necessary to curtail it considerably.  HP will absolutely decide who stays, and the primary objective will always be "Does it earn a return?".

So yes, the world is a big place for anyone to be silent, but the servers of HP are not.  They are limited, they cost to maintain and operate, and that cost must be met not by the charity of investors but by earning a monetary profit.

Well, that depends on what you understand as money making. At the early stages, hubbers can decide to add advert etc on their hubs but as time goes on hub pages started adding google adverts etc on hubs. I am saying because even when I was told that I can add advert, I did not know how to do that so I was not earning. That is the difference.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

David, I joined before you did.  HubPages was about making money even then.  If you didn't want to sign up and earn anything, that was your choice - and it still is, actually - but it has not changed in all that time.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

HubPages has always been a money-making site. Do you think the owners of the site are running expensive servers and paying staff because they want people to be able to express themselves?   Of course not!

Years ago, HubPages could afford to let anyone write anything because even poorly written articles could earn money.  Nowadays that's not true, and HubPages has realised that poor quality articles are harming its income potential.  That's why they are now demanding magazine-quality articles.

No one is saying you should be silent because of an inadequate command of English. There are thousands of other places where you can express yourself freely on the internet.

well, I recall not being able to place advert on my hubs because then it was left for a hubber to do that. I do not know if it is still the same now but I know google adverts can now appear on hubs. That is the difference. When I started I was not earning and I do not know if the site was earning.
              I am not saying there is no need to write quality hubs. I trust there is always something new to learn. Is there any site where quality does not matter?

4. davidkaluge profile image58

jackclee lmposted 2 minutes ago in reply to this

The sure way to get featured is to follow my hub "How to create a hub and get featured". The trick is to know what the automated QAP of HubPages expect and provide it...It has little to do with the content subject matter... I proved it with my hub on "Ideal debate format". Do a search and read up, you will understand.

You made the best contribution that will benefit new hubbers and old ones who are not aware of such. I trust it is why this forum was born.

5. Glenis Rix profile image96
    Glenis Rixposted 7 years ago

Shooting from the hip, Paul. But good points well made.

6. davidkaluge profile image58

It is unfortunate that someone who used they and there correctly in the same article would be attacked for using it wrongly in a single sentence. Even those without brains should know.

7. davidkaluge profile image58

Why is it that even the world greatest writers work with Editors?

Look, people have been trying to help you by responding for your request for feedback. Although you have published 260 hubs, only 7 are visible. Surely that must tell you that there is a problem?

Your writing is not bad - you are expressing your thoughts quite well. However, HubPages is desperately trying to rebrand itself from a site for writers to a collection of sites for readers. In accordance with that aim, they are getting stricter with the Quality Approval Process - which is what is preventing your hub from being published. You will probably find that your other seven hubs will also fall foul of the system over time.

It depends what you want from HubPages - a place where you can keep your writing but no-one else can read it, or somewhere to publish and share your views. If it is the latter, then you will have to improve your English language skills.

The Learning Center can help you to build quality hubs. https://hubpageshelp.com/

Grammarly can help with phrasing and grammar issues. https://www.grammarly.com/

Hemingway can help you tighten and refine your writing. https://www.grammarly.com/

Thanks for your suggestion. The last link is the same as the second link. Hubpages suggested that Hubbers update their hub from time to time to meet standards so I agree that some hubs may not be featured. Like I said, I shall find time to go through my hubs again.

The site requires login and there is no sign up section.

I'm sure you can work it out, David, many of us have. Google is useful too big_smile

Thanks for your assistance. At least I have gained something here. I contacted the site and they replied.

8. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 7 years ago

Have you ever thought about writing in your native tongue?

You are not going to change anything here by getting upset.

It is not a matter of getting upset. I am only giving people back what they gave to me. If someone says you steal other people's work then it is not a nice thing to say. I have written a hub that contains my native language. It is a matter of the subject of the hub.

9. SakinaNasir53 profile image95
    SakinaNasir53posted 7 years ago

Hi...your hub idea is good...but you need to split up the text under appropriate sub-headings. Add appropriate images which will bring beauty to your hub. Good luck !

Okay. I shall look into it. Thanks for your suggestion.

10. davidkaluge profile image58

A hub I published in 2011 was used as a term paper by someone in 2012 https://www.essays24.com/Book-Reports/E … 0649.html. How can Hubpages think I copied

11. davidkaluge profile image58

Maybe I have to do the job of hubpages by contacting the site support@essays24.com

12. davidkaluge profile image58

sent to support@essays24.com

Dear Sir/Madam,
    A great part of my article http://hubpages.com/religion-philosophy … ce-of-life was found on your site https://www.essays24.com/Book-Reports/E … 60649.html  by https://www.essays24.com/user/scarletheart.html. I do not intend to stop people from using my work but kindly write hubpages for permission to use my work. However, I should have been informed earlier.
    Thanks

13. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
    PaulGoodman67posted 7 years ago

I don't think you should worry too much about random students stealing your (rather brief) personal viewpoints on religion, written in shaky English. 

It's those doctors and other professionals who are copying and pasting your hubs on childbirth etc., written in good English, that you should be most concerned about!  wink

It is obvious you want us to have more fun. That is why we are here.

I think you made a point but I trust they should be able to reference where they found it. That is how to write a research work. I am not against people using my idea.

You should be concerned if other people are passing your work off as their own. Referencing is one thing; stealing is something else altogether.

You are right about that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)