|HubPages Device ID||This is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.|
|Login||This is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.|
|HubPages Traffic Pixel||This is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.|
|Remarketing Pixels||We may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.|
|Conversion Tracking Pixels||We may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.|
“403 Forbidden – nginx”
I've been having this message every so often and I did not mind since it usually resolves itself on its own. However, it just really bugged me yesterday when I was making my latest hub and it caused a problem while I was transferring it from MS word to the hub-tool. For some reason, the auto-save was not functioning so I practically made it again from the top.
It really did hit a nerve since I was supposedly rushing back to the hospital (for work) and I was just planing to copy and paste the whole thing before I go again on Duty, redoing the whole process took away my precious time. LOL.
So, this begs the question, what exactly causes this glitch?
Over the past few weeks I've tried the ff.:
1.) Using a different browser
2.) Upgrading the browser to latest version
3.) Cleaning my cache- bot manually and via an app cleaner
4.) Logging in and out 12, 432, 232,168 times
But nothing seems to be working!
I've only found this previous forum post: http://hubpages.com/community/forum/134 … nx-message and I think it was not resolved either way
When searching google, the first result that came up noted the ff. possibilities as the cause"
"User is blocked from requesting that page/resource or the site as a whole.
User tries to access a directory but autoindex is set to off.
User tries to access a file that can be only accessed internally."
Can anyone elaborate on this? Or at least, what do you guys to prevent this from happening? It usually auto resolves on its own, but sometimes it takes several minutes or so.
by Becki Rizzuti3 years ago
For the past week and a half or so, one person has asked a lot of questions on my How to Tell if You're Pregnant hub (on my Pregnancy Now hubpages account). I take a lot of time out of my day to answer pregnancy-related...
by iijuan122 years ago
I am receiving a message (403 Forbidden - nginx) almost every time I click on a page at this site (links, my account, and the forum).
by Sophia Angelique5 years ago
I'm trying to publish an article. It keeps telling me that I'm connected to forbidden sites, but there is no indication of forbidden sites. In addition, I've only used mainstream links like Forbes Magazine, Fiscal...
Copyright © 2018 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.