how many words must be written at least in the hub ?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (41 posts)
  1. maged ibrahem profile image59
    maged ibrahemposted 8 years ago

how many words must be written at least in the hub ?

1. Jodah profile image92
      Jodahposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It depends on what the hub is. If it's poetry a couple of hundred words is acceptable, anything else usually needs to be at least 800..

2. jackclee lm profile image80
      jackclee lmposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I've found as little as 300 words, 3 photos will be sufficient to pass the QAP.

3. profile image0
      savvydatingposted 8 years agoin reply to this

According to the Help Site, you need 1150 words to have a "good" hub. You also needs quality pictures and other capsules, such as polls, maps, etc. Best of luck to you.

1. jackclee lm profile image80

Suggested attributes of a good hub is just that. Real hubs have a variety of attributes depending on topic. What I came up with is empirical. 3 text modules, 3 photos, 300 well written words, would get featured 95% of the time.

4. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

It isn't just about getting featured.  The more words a hub has, the more keywords it will have, which will make it more searchable and thus more likely to rank higher with Google.

I was surprised to see that people are still writing hubs here with only 300 words.  I can't imagine one that short having much relevant or complete information.

It really depends on the topic. A recipe tends to require less text and more photos. Hard to write 1000 words on any recipe.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86

Hard, but not impossible.  What do you think differentiates the zillions of articles about how to make meatloaf?  I could copy and paste recipes all day long if all I wanted to do was put similar information of 300 or so words on line.

To me, what makes a recipe interesting is the back story.  Why is this one special?  What unusual ingredients is the cook using and how did they discover that these things made the food taste or look better.  Is it grandma's recipe?  Was it smuggled over the border years ago?

If you don't add details like these, why would anybody bother to read your recipe, let alone use it?  And, by the way, I'd sure like to see a recipe where the cook says he or she actually creates and uses it successfully.  I tried one awhile back that seemed like it would be great but was a total failure, and I'm a pretty experienced cook.  THAT is a real turnoff!

I agree with all that you said. In some cases, it is simple and easy that makes a successful recipe. Having arbitrary determine a minimum length article is not ideal but what current AI capabilities are. We are dealing with the limitations of HP and making the best of it. As expressed by others here, a poem of 100 words can be excellent content while a 1000 words essay can be boring. One size cannot fit all bill.

Obviously, length does not equate with quality, but in order to be "found" by the search engines, the more words the better.  If the engines can't find you, quality won't matter.

5. Christy Kirwan profile image93
      Christy Kirwanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi maged,

We recommend 800-1,500 words per Hub.

2. NateB11 profile image88
    NateB11posted 8 years ago

I don't know if there is an official number of words that a Hub has to have. But if it's too short, it probably won't pass the quality assessment process, because it likely doesn't have enough information in it. Here's a fairly decent guide on what makes up a good quality Hub: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Elem … tellar-Hub

It is said that a web article, to be successful on the Web, usually has about 1150 words. Of course, it still must be well-written with relevant information in it too.

I would add, though, that much of it depends on subject matter and how well you can convey the information on that subject. I've written some successful articles that were not 1150 words long. But they did have relevant well-present information that pinpointed the issue addressed.

3. maged ibrahem profile image59
    maged ibrahemposted 8 years ago

thank you all , i published a new hub , how can i know if it accepted or not ?

4. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 8 years ago

There is no minimum wordcount. I have featured hubs of under 300 words

Good for you. I have done experiments where I started with a hub of less than 300 words. By adding incrementally word count on several iterations, I reached past the 300 words and it became featured. That's how I arrived at that number.

5. Kylyssa profile image90
    Kylyssaposted 8 years ago

What is the point in writing on a website like HubPages if you don't like writing and find it difficult to reach a reasonable number of words in what you compose?

* If you can't write more because you've run out of material to cover, research the topic until you can think of more questions about it to answer and more information to give your reader.

* If you are having difficulty reaching article length in your articles due to writer's block, work past it. Set the piece aside and finish it later if you must, but don't publish it until it's actually finished.

* If your point is to improve your writing, then buckle down and write. Just keep writing, without being repetitive, until you do reach article-length on your posts. Nothing but writing will improve your writing skills.

* If your point is to earn money doing something you dislike, find something else, because there's very little, if any, money to be found writing half-hearted blurbs. Find something you do like or at least don't dislike so much so at least you can fail to earn anything doing something that doesn't make you miserable.

+1

2. Millionaire Tips profile image92
      Millionaire Tipsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  This isn't a homework assignment where you are required to turn in a certain number of words.  The point is to write a quality article that people want to read and share.

The key words here are "want to read and share".  Statistics have shown that the ideal number of words is somewhere in the area of 1200.  More or less generally brings in fewer views.  So, while this is not a "homework assignment", those who want to even have a chance of being ranked, in most but not all instances, need to follow the guidelines.  However, if low words work for you, good.  Personally, I would never put a hub online with 300 or so words.  I even feel 700 is pushing it.

People who want info can skim, and then if they like what they see, they can go back and do in depth reading.  That's why we have capsules.  How in the world do you divide a 300 word article into capsules?  Beats me!

1. Millionaire Tips profile image92
          Millionaire Tipsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree with what you are saying.  What I meant by "homework assignment" is that there is no one here who is forcing you to write something and turn it in.  You don't have to do it at all.  So instead of trying to figure out the minimum requirements and aiming for that, aim for making the best article you can write.  If you write one that sufficiently covers the topic, chances are, it will automatically have the correct number of words.

+1

2. psycheskinner profile image84
          psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The guidelines include a lot of things that would not be ideal for some hubs written for specific purposes.  Like always putting in a video, or never collecting links into lists. They are guidelines for people in need of hints and suggestions for writing a generic magazine-style article, not hard and fast rules.

"People" "can" do all sorts of things.  But, using myself as an example, I don't do those things.  When my computer is jacked up I go for technical articles that stick to the point and solve my problem and I keep clicking until I find it. When I want a recipe I just want the recipe.  Just yesterday I searched for a Kopha-based White Christmas recipe and passed up every one until I found the classic recipe without commentary, adaptations, or "more healthy" imagings.  I mean FFS, it's sugar, fat, and rice bubbles.  All I needed was the proportions.

1. profile image0
            Bronwyn Joy Ellioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Kopha?!?! Now that is a name I've not heard for a very long time!

6. psycheskinner profile image84

What would make anyone assume 280 words is not the reason number for some topics.  I write a hub to convey useful information on a topic.  Sometime this is 280 words, sometimes it is 1200. Hubs are meant to serve a purpose for the reader.  Wordcount is 100% secondary to that goal. 

If, for example, a reader has a computer problem and want to know how to fix it, the fix can be quite simple  Any extra words just get in the way of helping them solve that problem.

1. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. jackclee lm profile image80

Agreed, only thing is HubPages quality assessment has a general requirement of a minimum of words and pictures etc....If you want to be found by search engine such as google, you need to get "featured" status.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86

Good point, but frankly, if I wanted to know how to fix a computer problem I would be more likely to turn to YouTube or call my computer guy than to try to find an article about it.  But that's just me.  As with recipes, there are a zillion articles on this topic, so even writing about it could be a problem in terms of getting views.  If I did, however, choose an article on this topic, it would be one written by a pro, not by someone like me who may know the fix but does not have the creds.

7. profile image0
    Bronwyn Joy Ellioposted 8 years ago

A lot of my work here is in the form of flash or nano fiction. That means that the majority of it is less than 100 words. Yet every Hub is featured for quality.

I believe there is a different standard for poetry and fiction, but the question is, how many page views are you getting?  From what I have heard, works of fiction are not ranked well and are not well read.  Therefore, what is the point of writing something that only a few people read?  Makes no sense to me.

1. profile image0
        Bronwyn Joy Ellioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

What makes no sense to you, makes perfect sense to my readers. Remember, people do have loyal followers from other sources than HP or social media sites.

1. Jodah profile image92

+1 There are plenty of people who follow poetry and short fiction. I have poetry hubs with views in the thousands and an average of 80 comments per hub.

1. Kylyssa profile image90
            Kylyssaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

There are also plenty of avid pleasure readers who are constantly looking for new things to read for free.

I suck at marketing my writing, so posting it online allows it a chance to market itself. One usually must give away the first novel in a series to get things going, anyway. Giving one away by serializing it online creates dozens of possible contact points sort of like advertisements, one or more for each chapter. The first eighteen chapters of Gruldak have gotten thousands of views and people who compose lists of free science fiction seem to love linking to it. What's not to love about that?

My fiction and poetry score great on HubPages. If a score drops on, say a chapter of Gruldak, all I have to do is go in and tighten up the text a little and the score goes back into the nineties once a human in QAP looks at it.

1. Jodah profile image92

+1. Very good points. I do the same.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86

Jodah:  Weren't you the same person complaining awhile back that after putting in so much work you only had 10,000 views?  Has something changed?  I am surprised to hear you say this, even though I know how good the quality of your work is and love reading it.

1. Jodah profile image92

I can't remember complaining that I only had 10,000 views TT2, although my views have been increasing consistently recently around 70,000. I have 10,000 views from just three hubs, one of those is a recipe/poetry combination, another is just a poetry hub, and one about unexplained coincidences. It has been four years since I only had 10,000 views. Thanks for the kind words of support about my writing though.

Glad to hear this.  Guess my memory took me back too far!  It would be terrific, though, if you could have more.  You certainly deserve to have your work read.

1. Jodah profile image92

Yes, I know a lot of people who write in different genres have a lot more views (in the millions even) but I don't expect miracles. As long as those that do read what I write get enjoyment from it, that is what is important to me. Slow and steady wins the race smile

+1

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86

Apparently your situation is different because you bring readers in from places other than Google that are followers.  Most who write here don't have followers, so in your situation, what you are doing does make sense.  I was not just referring to you, however.  There are tons of people here who may be writing very short hubs and getting nothing in return for their efforts.  Those are the people to whom my comments were directed.  Once you clarified your own situation, I had a better understanding, but I still hold with my original views.

8. psycheskinner profile image84

Indeed, for every person who wants a cultural essay with their recipe there is another who just want the recipe.

So why should they come to HP to find it when there are millions of them available online elsewhere that have been created by professional chefs?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)