jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (12 posts)

After the death of a celebrity....

1. Rafini profile image88
    Rafiniposted 9 months ago

Is it considered bad taste to write a hub about a celebrity after the death of the celebrity?

1. Stacie L profile image87
      Stacie Lposted 8 months ago in reply to this

I don't think it's bad taste if they write about the good things about them .
      If someone wants to badmouth a celebrity after their death, it may be wise to wait a while.IMO

Rafiniposted 8 months ago in reply to this

Oh, I agree.  Definitely.  I've never really understood why celebrity obituary writers feel the need to highlight negative aspects of a life, because it always seems to me that the negative outweighs the positive.  Perfect example: Michael Jackson.  I think his contributions to music far outweigh his legal issues in terms of writing a celebrity obituary.  If someone wanted to write an obituary of Michael Jackson that focused on his legal issues then it shouldn't be considered a celebrity obituary, because his celebrity status wouldn't have been the focus.

Personally, I was trying to decide whether writing a hub after a celebrity death would be seen as capitalizing on their celebrity status, or if it would be understood as what writers do.

1. Stacie L profile image87
          Stacie Lposted 8 months ago in reply to this

Look at this hub on a late celebrity as honoring their memory.

Thank you, that's what I was looking for, I guess.  It's another new genre for me. smile

2. Sherry Hewins profile image96
      Sherry Hewinsposted 8 months ago in reply to this

The regular print media doesn't worry about such things. Interest in a celebrity certainly spikes right after their death. But then, you have lots of competition too, and unless you have something really new to say, you'll be lost in the crowd. Also, interest usually dies down pretty quickly.

I think my main concern revolved around the fact that ads are placed on our hubs - Amazon being a choice.  I was trying to decide what I wanted to do based on a previous hub of mine written about abuse where I have NO ads.  I was just looking for a second, or more, opinion and would have even welcomed a little debate on the issue.  But, I got what I got.  hmm smile.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image96
          Sherry Hewinsposted 8 months ago in reply to this

I don't think you'd have any problem with ads on such a hub, unless you gave details about some unsavory topics, like sex, drugs, and violence.

3. Natalie Frank profile image97
      Natalie Frankposted 8 months ago in reply to this

I think if you were sincerely touched by their death and really admired them, what they did and their talent then it's fine.  Like everyone else I think posting negative or criticism of them to be in poor taste.  I don't know what to advise about the ads. Go with your gut in terms of what you've experienced in the past. Good Luck!

2. Religulous profile image79
    Religulousposted 8 months ago

I'd find content sites jumping on the most recent death like they're ambulance chasers. Personally I'd avoid it.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image90
    FatFreddysCatposted 8 months ago

Go with your gut. If it's a person you genuinely admire(d) and were a fan of, I see no reason why you can't write a tribute from a fan's perspective.

If you're writing about someone you didn't particularly care about simply because he or she is the latest celebrity death, in hopes of getting a traffic bonanza out of it, don't bother.

I wrote a Hub about Lemmy from Motorhead when he passed away last year, because... well, because it was Lemmy! I knew it wasn't going to get a ton of hits because so many other higher-ranking sites were posting their own tributes,  but as a fanboy I felt that I should offer my two cents as well.

Thanks for the good advice.  I went for it, and followed your excellent advice before receiving it.  I will also keep your advice  in mind when it comes to future articles - avoid writing for traffic, write from a fans perspective instead.  smile

working