Does bad grammar and spelling bother you?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (23 posts)
  1. thebeast02 profile image67
    thebeast02posted 12 years ago

Does bad grammar and spelling bother you?

I don't expect everyone to be an English professor, but for goodness sake people, use some punctuation and a built in spell-check! This is primarily aimed at forums, hubs, and places like YouTube comments. Places where people could take the time to read over what they write and correct it. (I read over this post at least 5 times. That would be simply embarrassing.)

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/5505518_f260.jpg

2. Learn Things Web profile image92
    Learn Things Webposted 12 years ago

I don't worry about it in comments or forums because people are often in a hurry when they write. But people should absolutely check their hubs over and over. It is very distracting to encounter a lot of mistakes. Readers tend to become focused on the errors rather than the content.

3. My Minds Eye53 profile image60
    My Minds Eye53posted 12 years ago

hell yes!  If you are born and raised in this country then you should know proper English.

4. BKAONE profile image71
    BKAONEposted 12 years ago

I can't even send a text if I see I've made an error.  I get a rash and twitch when a friend sends me a grammatical filled email.  By the way, a little bit of pressure on each person answering this question not to make an error.

5. carcro profile image89
    carcroposted 12 years ago

It all depends on the medium, for texting no, but definitely is a eye sore in email and anything to do with the work environment. Sadly, bad spelling and grammer is all to common in today's world.

6. ThoughtSandwiches profile image75
    ThoughtSandwichesposted 12 years ago

In this arena i would need some clarification...do you mean My own...or other people's?

7. capncrunch profile image75
    capncrunchposted 12 years ago

You know, I go back and forth with this one.  I believe it is the "new" way of expression.  I seriously think some do it on purpose.  Still, there are those who just won't take the time to check their spelling by any means.  And the web really gives those who probably would have never completed a writing assignment in school, an ability to write about whatever they feel like getting out in the open.

8. LegendaryN8 profile image60
    LegendaryN8posted 12 years ago

As long as I can read what is being said, it doesn't bother me.  I realize that many people who post content online did not learn English at their first language, so I am quite lenient with others' posts.  However, if I wanted to be extremely critical, I could do so, but by doing that I could potentially come off as pretentious:

If I recall correctly (sorry to put you on the spot), I think your title should be stated, "Do bad grammar and spelling bother you"?  The reason is because "do" is applied to more than one thing (as you have both grammar and spelling in your example - which, grammatically would be conjugated to the third person plural).  Contrastingly, "does" is only used in the third person singular (as in, "she does write well").

My example above still comes off as pretentious even though I said it nicely.  I was born and raised here (with and advanced degree) and I still have grammar problems - just aim to be understood and you are fine!

I seriously wouldn't get preachy about grammar here, because literally everyone who has posted so far (as of 8PM EST) has made at least one spelling or one grammar error, including myself.

9. thebeast02 profile image67
    thebeast02posted 12 years ago

I'm going to have to agree with you N8, at least in part. Grammar I feel much more lenient about, as grammar rules in English are extremely confusing. But there are those people who refuse to use ANY punctuation whatsoever. These writers simply hurt my eyes and I often will refuse to read it. Now spelling, on the other hand, I do not feel as lenient about. Most, if not all, of the popular web browsers today have a built in spell check. It's there for a reason. And for people who write hubs, if you know you have issues with spelling and grammar, I offer you some advice. Type up your hub in Microsoft Word (or some equivalent) first, work out all of the kinks, and then post it to HubPages.

Also, no worries about the correction on my title. I knew I would do something wrong and was expecting at least one critique. But as I said, grammar is something I don't feel as picky on as it can be very tricky.

When I talk about spelling, I don't mean typos (they happen but can still be prevented through proofreading)  or abbreviations (some times they are O.K.) but more flagrant butchering of a word. When I see these types of writings it tends to make me think less of the author right away. Because they couldn't take the time to check their work to see if it was correct. To me, it makes the writer look lazy or even less credible. Now I know that there have been some great thinkers in history who have not been the best spellers, but come on guys, spell check is right there to be used now.

10. onegoodwoman profile image69
    onegoodwomanposted 12 years ago

There are times when busy writing, that I need to remind myself to check my spelling, and to recall, the " i before e' rules...........change thy " y " to "ies".   I get past simple mistakes..............they are so easy to make when your mind is traveling at thought speed.

What bothers me is, ( seen at a BANK)   " our r8s r gr8". "2gud2b4gtn".......how gradeschool girlish.

The art of communication is to be understood.......not investigated.

I wish, that I had, through the years, kept a log of the incorrect speaking of our newscasters,..........it is no wonder that the language is butchered when we hear it incorrectly from those in a " positiion" of influence.

When reading a book, I can't help myself......I highlight the errors for the next reader.   I have even seen entire paragraphs repeated.   What are editors and proofreaders paid for doing?

When I have to study and analyze your communication, you are poor in its method.

Communication should be clear and concise.   Giving voice to ideas, and feelings, is more difficult, making the spelling of words, the flow, the process, all the more important.

If you wish to be understood.......be understandable.

11. sexualharassment profile image58
    sexualharassmentposted 12 years ago

Yes! I wanted to create writings that are grammatically correct to properly convey my message to the readers. I also wanted it to be free from wrongly-spelled words if possible.

12. randomcreative profile image89
    randomcreativeposted 12 years ago

Yes, bad grammar and spelling drive me crazy, especially from professional adults.  When I was teaching, I couldn't believe how many e-mails I would get from co-workers with terribly obvious mistakes.  I know that sometimes little things slip through spell check, but if you're a principal, shouldn't you know the different between it's and its?!

1. profile image52
      joeyhagridposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Different*. There's a difference between "different" and "difference".

13. whoisbid profile image60
    whoisbidposted 12 years ago

Wassup dudes? LOL!

I live in a high-tech international environment where most people are bi-lingual or tri-lingual and it is very difficult to master several languages, so people don't really mind if you do not dot every "i" or cross every "t" and in fact it will irritate them if you try to correct them all the time. I guess you could lose money and fail at your business if you condemned someone in the community for not speaking or writing English to your standards.

If you can only speak one language then it is more than likely that you will be concerned about being correct in that particular language and it is understandable that mono-linguists have these concerns. If you are used to using a lot of languages, then you will have to give up after a while and not be too bothered about making mistakes. People have to decide if being "mono-lingual' is a handicap or a blessing. Of course there are some people who are so brilliant that they have managed to master several languages and do everything perfectly but most people are not able to do that.

Millions of people in Asia and the Middle-East are now using the English language and the rules are beginning to change because people will tend to modify English to suit their local settings.

Have I just opened a can of worms?

14. Rock_nj profile image91
    Rock_njposted 12 years ago

It depends on the forum.  In emails and message boards, I can tolerate spelling and grammatical errors (including in these Answer forums), because people may not be able to spell check and edit their emails and messages due to time constraints.  But in formal writing, I find spelling and grammatical errors to be very annoying.  It demonstrates a lack of professionalism and just plain old laziness.  If one is going to write formally, take the time to run a spell check and edit your writing.  It should be a cut above other writing.

I have always found it fascinating how some books (including some very popular ones that have been read by millions of people) that have been published many times over the decades, still have typos in them.  Even the first time, these typos seem inexcusable for a professional editing and publishing effort, but to still remain after many editions have been published over the decades is just baffling?!?

15. Pollyannalana profile image59
    Pollyannalanaposted 12 years ago

Well first of all we can and do all make mistakes but there are some with good writers not knowing any better and will probably always do it and the worst one here at hubs i believe is "and" for "an". Instead of saying "I will have an apple" they will say "I will have and apple", right while they are knocking my writing! But I don't say anything, I have a time or two and no one appreciates it where I would having seen an article of mine that has been published weeks and finding an error, so on this one thing I just keep my mouth shut and everyone knows how hard that is on me but thank you for letting me finally have my say on that one! Also with me being guilty too but not quite so bad, I think people do not read over their writings enough to correct their grammar. It can get hectic here trying to keep up with so many friends but when we publish something we should give it a better go over before pushing that publish button!

16. profile image52
    Assef Khazardposted 12 years ago

Not as much as the people who go around correcting it.

Nothing worse than some guy making sure to correct a small typo and acting like it makes a difference.

17. tsmog profile image85
    tsmogposted 12 years ago

Generally speaking no it does not. Where it does 'bother' me is when researching something. I mean this in the sense if it creates a sense of 'not understanding.' When I read hubs I look more at the big picture, the emotion, and then the specifics. Grammar & punctuation kinda' comes last in that list.

18. iloveglee83 profile image59
    iloveglee83posted 12 years ago

I mainly get annoyed with people who spell simple words wrong, I have people spell where as whare or what as wahat etc. Other than the dumb misspellings I can handle most anything else.

19. Allen Williams profile image70
    Allen Williamsposted 12 years ago

I can deal with the typos that are clearly typos.  It bothers me a great deal to read something that I have to continually go back and read again because it didn't make sense due to bad grammar, or bad spelling.  I usually quit reading and move on to something else.

20. profile image52
    sakeofstabilityposted 11 years ago

Bad English grammar doesn't really bother me at all. Languages evolve. English is really a true global language and it should be simpler for the world population. Picture this. People should never ever fall into the inconvenient trap of 'linguistic elitism' or 'Anglo-imperialism'. I wouldn't worry too much about any flawed grammar mistake in English.

21. Keri Machin profile image61
    Keri Machinposted 10 years ago

subconsciously it does, but logically no i don't care as long as the msge gets across... you see?

22. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 7 years ago

Yes, yes, yes, and the ones that bother me the most are my own!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)