jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Linking to Previous Article

1. Natalie Frank profile image95
    Natalie Frankposted 7 months ago

I know each article should stand alone and be independent of others.  Yet for recipes can we refer to a previous article about technique for creating part of the recipe?  I want to write a flan recipe but as I was putting it together I realized I have far too much content since the part related to caramelizing the sugar alone is extensive.  There is more than enough of this content to make it's own article and far too much to include with the fest of the flan recipe.  Can I put it up first then in the flan recipe tell how to make the caramel but for the tips, notes, advice, safety item etc. refer to the other article?  I started trying to edit it down but too many important parts were left out and need to be posted somewhere.  I plan to write the flan recipe such that it can be made with this alone if you already are well versed in making the caramel but if not can refer to the other article which will also include ideas for using the caramel in recipes other than the flan.  Thanks.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image93
      DzyMsLizzyposted 7 months ago in reply to this

As far as I know, this is fine.

I've just heavily re-written my genealogy hub, which was far too long.  I split it up into stand-alone sections, one topic at a time, with links to the other hubs in the series.

I didn't do it in a links capsule, though, but in the "anchor text" they now seem to prefer, for example:

"If you came to this in the middle of the series, you can find more information here. (create link to underlined part). Or, if you're already well versed in that, you might be interested in the next article in the series. (another link)..and so forth.

I am currently in the process of doing the same thing with my camping hub.
      Best wishes.

2. peachpurple profile image77
      peachpurpleposted 7 months ago in reply to this

I do link my recipes hubs in between the hubs, 3 of them and one external post from a other site

2. Marisa Wright profile image94
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 months ago

Yes you certainly can do it.  As MsLizzy says, do it with an in-text link, e.g. "this recipe requires caramel. You can read how to caramelize sugar here" or wording like that.

3. Natalie Frank profile image95
    Natalie Frankposted 7 months ago

Thanks guys!  I appreciate the response.  Now I have something to work on while I wait for food!

4. simplehappylife profile image81
    simplehappylifeposted 7 months ago

On a handful of my hubs, I've successfully added in links to related hubs (two of which are recipe hubs) .  All of them are featured, so I think if you just make sure that they are relative, it will be fine. 

In the capsule that mentions caramelizing the sugar, I would add in the link to the right side of the capsule, titled something like "Learn How to Caramelize" and then add your link in (I would select the little box in the link capsule that says display description). 

Hope that helps smile

5. simplehappylife profile image81
    simplehappylifeposted 7 months ago

Also, it would be completely acceptable to link to the flan article on the caramalized article.  On that one, you could title the link something like "Learn how to make flan".  I don't know, something like that smile

working