jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (24 posts)

Can you please check to see if this article measures up?

1. TessSchlesinger profile image93
    TessSchlesingerposted 3 weeks ago

It's been close to 8 or 9 months since I've written for hubpages, so I need to know if things have changed. Have I done this correctly or have styles, etc. changed?

https://hubpages.com/business/How-the-S … u-Cant-Win

I also wanted to email this to friends and I clicked on the email icon continually, but it didn't give me the option to send it as an email. Is it working?

1. theraggededge profile image97
      theraggededgeposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

You might have problems with, and linking to, the images from the FT (which is behind a paywall) and the Guardian. Are you sure they are legal to use? The captions also appear to be incomplete.

Expences should be expenses.

smile

TessSchlesingerposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

Nope, not behind a paywall. The Guardian is free to everybody (I used to work for them once upon a time). Yes, I am sure they are free to use. It's called fair usage. I qualified as a journalist at the London School of Journalism, and I'm pretty clear on what is legal and what is not. Thanks for the typo heads up. Not sure what you mean about the captions being incomplete. Will go check that out.

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
          Marisa Wrightposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

The Financial Times is behind a paywall, I just tried to access it.   You can view the front page as a non-subscriber, but you can't read anything.

I suggest contacting the Guardian and asking them for their policy. I think things have changed in the digital age.  I did find their policy on quoting content:

https://syndication.theguardian.com/open-licence-terms/

They allow content to be used on personal blogs only.  That means a blog you are not making money from, and therefore doesn't apply to HubPages in two ways - one, it's not a blog and two, it's for-profit.

I think you are arguing that because you're using just the photo and a short quotation, that's fair use.  However, the photo is not part of the content.  It is a separate work - it wasn't created by the writer of the piece and quite likely, the copyright of the image does not belong to the Guardian or to the writer.  Therefore it has to be dealt with separately for the purposes of fair use.  The only way you could claim fair use a photo is if you clipped a small part out of it - using the whole photo can never be counted as fair use.

Thank you for your input, Marisa smile I will correct what needs to be corrected. I am, however, not using their content. I am using a photo to link to their article. I worked for the Guardian for a year. I trained as a journalist at the London School of journalism. I know the laws.

Then your knowledge needs updating, Tess, because you are incorrect. Fair Use does not allow you to republish material on a commercial site. Sorry if you don't like our advice, but you did ask for it.

Could you please tell me where I republished material?

In this context, photos that you need permission to use. Photos are copyrighted in a similar way to text. They are classed as intellectual property. Thus you cannot republish them on a commercial site unless they are A. Allocated a Creative  Commons licence by the originator. B. Are in the Public Domain (this usually applies to images over a certain age, or have been put into the PD by their owner). C. Belong to you.

Images are complete 'works of art', and therefore if you republish the entire image, as opposed to say, 10% of it, without permission then it is classed as copyright theft, whether you agree or not. Linking back to the article does not confer permission to use.

There are a great many sites where you can find legal-to-use images. Look at the HP link I posted earlier -there's a list of them.

2. Marisa Wright profile image94
                  Marisa Wrightposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

You republished a copyright photo.  Republishing a copyright photo is illegal under any circumstances, unless you have the explicit permission of the copyright holder.

Fair use applies only when you republish a portion of a work.  Therefore if you republish the whole of a photo, that cannot count as fair use.

What about if you publish the photo along with the headlines? In other words, it's a snippet of the newspaper?

2. theraggededge profile image97

Not the Guardian, the Financial Times. Your link takes me straight to the FT subscription page.

Republishing images/photos doesn't come under Fair Use as they are complete creations in their own right. I have had several images removed from websites that have used mine without permission.

From HubPages:

"Do not use others' images unless they have a Creative Commons (CC) or Public Domain license."

https://hubpageshelp.com/content/Learni … -image-use

Caption: "Now in her late 20s, Ms Adeyemi, who has kept her south London accent, is determined to progress inher career but believes the top position could be out of reach. While confident of her legal skills and ability, she believes she lacks"

That's also the link that goes to the paywalled FT.

Thanks. I removed that and put in a video instead.

2. Sherry Hewins profile image94
      Sherry Hewinsposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

It sounds good to me. One error I spotted was in the The "Attributes that Win the Game" section, under "Slim and Stylish."

"eating the right foods which keep one think," I think you meant keep one thin.

Aha. Thanks. smile

2. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 3 weeks ago

Photos almost never fall under fair use because you are using 100% of the work.  And these are photos being made by professionals for profit.  They have no been place under a creative commons license.  No, you can't use them.  If you are still 100% confident I am wrong, let me know and I will be happy to contact the photographer and ask. The only reason I am not doing that now is to be nice and not drop you in it.

Please explain to me the difference between using a photograph to illustrate one's article and using a photograph to link to an article.

The photograph was used to link to an article.

1. psycheskinner profile image81
        psycheskinnerposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

You are using the photograph.  The photograph is a work in it's own right.  Whether it is linked or not has no relevance.

3. TessSchlesinger profile image93
    TessSchlesingerposted 3 weeks ago

Okay, you're all correct. I've forgotten how I did it before. smile My apologies I've fixed it.

OK, looks like we posted at the same time. Glad it's all sorted smile

Thanks for the help. smile Apart from the print being a bit blurry which I have no idea how to fix, I think it works at this stage. I hope. smile

working