jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Are authors notified when an Expert Review is added to their Hubs?

1. Marisa Wright profile image98
    Marisa Wrightposted 2 weeks ago

Could HubPages please answer this question?

1. When a Hub is "expert reviewed", does the author receive a notification?

2. What is the process if the author has concerns about the expert review?

2. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 2 weeks ago

The feature is in the very early stages.  It will likely change significantly. 

But as it stands now.  Yes, we notify authors. It's part of the Premium Edit process. 

Authors actively communicate with their premium editors. 

BUT.  This is a very early feature.  It's changed substantially since the first version we shared.  It will likely change substantially more before it expands.

Please see my original post that mentions communicating with authors and some of the other nuances to the feature. 

https://hubpages.com/community/forum/14 … rt-reviews

1. LongTimeMother profile image99
      LongTimeMotherposted 2 weeks agoin reply to this

Paul, would you please return to your original post and join in the conversation where we have been responding to your op? Many are voicing concerns and raising questions. It seems the obvious place for you to discuss the 'nuances' and changes.

If you don't intend to acknowledge our posts, it would be helpful if you stated that on the thread so we don't waste our time.

2. Marisa Wright profile image98
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 weeks agoin reply to this

Paul, I think you need to go and check with your editors URGENTLY, because they are not carrying out your instructions.

Jellygator (the author of your example Hub) has just posted on the other thread. She did not even see the first review, so clearly, she was NOT notified, nor did she have any opportunity to discuss it with the editor.   And she is unhappy with the result - this is what she says:

"I didn't see the first review, but I have seen the second one. It strikes me as argumentative and designed to minimize the author's credibility."

I suspect she wasn't notified of the second review either - she only saw it because some of us left comments on her Hub.

I sent a message to Jellygator myself and didn't get a response, so maybe she's not getting messages from HubPages - but silence is NOT consent, so the editors had no business posting the review without hearing from her, surely.

3. Marisa Wright profile image98
    Marisa Wrightposted 2 weeks ago

Paul, we have all been extensively analysing your initial post for 14 pages on the other thread, so I am well aware of it.

Your post says, "There are additional processes to improve between .... notifying the authors as well as handling author questions" so it certainly wasn't clear what the notification/consultation process was, or even if it existed yet.   Thank you for clarifying.   

I'd have to say, I've seen some of the other Hubs which have been subjected to this treatment, and it doesn't look as though anything much has changed.  The system still places the "expert review" at the top of the Hub, which invites the reader to skip the entire Hub and just read the review.   That can't be doing much for bounce rates.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image97
      DzyMsLizzyposted 2 weeks agoin reply to this

WOW!  If that's the case, it makes NO sense at all!  Hub Pages is shooting itself in the foot (or maybe even in the family jewels) with this tactic! 
      IMO, such 'reviews' should be private, between the editor/reviewer and the author, so any errors, oversights or omissions may be corrected.
      As you say, Marisa--a public posting at the very top surely tells readers to look elsewhere, if it's a negative "review."
      (Crossing my fingers, and feeling lucky to have so far 'escaped' this process...)

1. Marisa Wright profile image98
        Marisa Wrightposted 2 weeks agoin reply to this

Erm - are you sure, MsLizzy?  If Hubbers aren't being notified of this process, how do you know one of your Hubs hasn't been reviewed?  I must admit I haven't checked mine.

working