jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)

Am so delighted, ut how to advantage of momentary traffic?

1. TessSchlesinger profile image96
    TessSchlesingerposted 4 months ago

So I have this piece on a vertical site that someone shared on facebook. Then it got shared 24 more times, and my traffic reached 1453 at its peak. For a hub that doesn't really get traffic, for me, this is awesome.

The question is, "Is there any way I can take advantage of this and get more long term traffic?"

I google where the link, found it, then wrote a comment to increase discussion, but that's only a temporary solution.

Any ideas?

1. NateB11 profile image93
      NateB11posted 4 months agoin reply to this

I've never dealt with it in any other way other than to let it happen naturally. However, I've noticed that articles that get shared a lot once tend to be shared a lot on down the line. For one thing, if the article is shared a lot, it's typically in a position in the SERPs to be noticed and so shared. And also because it's floating around on social media.

TessSchlesingerposted 4 months agoin reply to this

I have noticed that as well. Hopefully, it gets shared some more. Some of my hubs have had daily facebook and pinterest views for years.

2. Will Apse profile image92
    Will Apseposted 4 months ago

Inventing your own language has obviously worked out really well for you, Tess, lol.

3. TessSchlesinger profile image96
    TessSchlesingerposted 4 months ago

You've ust made me laugh! It's them speedy fingers on the keyboard! I miss letters by the ton! smile

1. sallybea profile image99
      sallybeaposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Are you using Flipboard?

I found I used to get traffic on flipboard - the first time I posted something, but that's about it. What I was looking for was a way to elevate a momentary flip in my traffic to something more permanent. Sometimes I have hubs that perform well once and then are never heard of again. sad This one does get traffic, but not much.

4. DrMark1961 profile image99
    DrMark1961posted 4 months ago

After reading your comment and NateĀ“s I was curious so went back and looked at one hub that I remembered being shared on Flipboard, Facebook, and then posted to numerous blogs. It got thousands of views in those days, but now it is down to about 20 per day. I am not sure that getting hot on social media really makes much a difference to your long term traffic.

I have hubs that have been shared hundreds of times on facebook and pinterest for years, and they continue to have views from those sources every single day.

What I am trying to figure out is why some but not others.

5. poppyr profile image98
    poppyrposted 4 months ago

I know how you feel. I shared an article on Reddit earlier this week and earned more in that day than I usually earn in a fortnight! In the end, though, Google-friendly articles keep high traffic in the long-term, I think, unless the topic stays hot.

1. DrMark1961 profile image99
      DrMark1961posted 4 months agoin reply to this

I remember your mentioning that the earnings for that surge was not that good. Did they end up showing up later? If not, are these surges even worth it?

1. poppyr profile image98
        poppyrposted 4 months agoin reply to this

The actual day of the surge, the earnings went up a little bit, but the next day they were even higher, and continue to be higher than they were before the surge. It was definitely worth it.

1. DrMark1961 profile image99
          DrMark1961posted 4 months agoin reply to this

Thats great news. I wonder if the people from Reddit visited your profile page and have come back for a second look at your other hubs, and are now logged in as regular readers.

1. poppyr profile image98
            poppyrposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Thanks DrMark smile Here's hoping!

working