jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Rest Periods for Writing

1. Jessie L Watson profile image92
    Jessie L Watsonposted 3 weeks ago

I've given myself about 8 days so far of R&R to spend with family. Now I feel quite charged to write but my vacation doesn't end until after the 1st. So, I'm cheating a little. But I want talk about a story of the importance of rest.

I joined the military in 2008. Went through 16 weeks of training - continuous physical exercise. Once the formal training was complete I had 2 weeks of down-time before I moved onto airborne school. During that time, I was so exhausted from training that I did nothing but sleep in and go out the clubs at night. After the two week break, I reported to airborne school. From there, we had to take another physical training test. I scored a personal record high for fastest run time even after having drank and smoked for 2 straight weeks. Lol.

Down time is crucial. Both physically, mentally, and emotionally. For those dedicated hubbers out there, give your mind a break and you might be surprised at your level of acuity once your return.

1. Marketing Merit profile image96
      Marketing Meritposted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

Totally agree with your sentiments. We all need to take some timeout in order not to burn ourselves out.

I can't profess to know the challenges presented by being a member of the Armed Forces, but I have, nonetheless, experienced a challenging year. I'm too embarrassed to say what time I woke up today, but I desperately needed the time to recharge my batteries. This was followed by some 6 hours of extremely productive work, as well as being able to solve several technical problems that had previously appeared insurmountable!

So yes, sufficient R&R is definitely a pre-requisite for success. Have a fabulous New Year.

1. Jessie L Watson profile image92
        Jessie L Watsonposted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

+1

2. Shogun profile image48
    Shogunposted 2 weeks ago

I tend to enjoy an activity such as writing or running until the point I end up burned out. That was especially problematic with writing, as it was my hobby and full-time job. I definitely recommend changing scenery, going on holiday, or just shaking up the routine a bit. I've been able to get back to slamming out content after a weekend getaway, though wasn't able to after a summer break away from work. Do what works for you!

working