jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Searching website network domains

1. Tinsky profile image95
    Tinskyposted 2 months ago

I have a few ideas for new articles but before I write them, I want to see what is available on the network domains for these topics. I don't want to repeat a topic or take the same approach as a previous writer.

However, I can't seem to find a search feature on the network domains and when I try to search using site:www.networkdomain.com (insert name of network domain such as Spinditty) on Google search, the domains don't appear to be indexed. As well, the HubPages search box in the top header of these forum pages, appears to only retrieve topics on the HubPage domain. 

I'm sure I must just be missing something. So, how do you search the network domains for articles?

2. aesta1 profile image88
    aesta1posted 2 months ago

Tinsky, when you open your account in HP, on the left side of your screen, you can see 3 horizontal lines in black which says MORE. Click on that and the Search option is there.

Tinskyposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Hi Aesta1

Thanks for your reply but I still don't see a search box in the hamburger menu (the more menu).

I see the following options:

My name in orange with sign out on the opposite side.
      My Account
      -Then there are directory of topics.  When you click on the directory of topics, it opens a page which shows popular, best and latest. But still no search box?

What I want to do is search for a specific word not have to filter through a directory of pages.

Underneath the Directory on the network sites I then see:
      Connect with us options for Facebook and Pinterest.

I'm specifically looking for a search box where I can enter keywords not a directory.  Is this possible?  Or I'm I still missing something here?

3. lobobrandon profile image90
    lobobrandonposted 2 months ago

This is how you google it. I just tried and it worked

site:spinditty.com keyword

Tinskyposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Ah thanks.

I think what the issue is that HubPages don't have the www.spinditty.com version indexed.

I followed the instructions on Google to find it. They are

How to Google Search Within a Website using Site:Search
      Step 1: Go to Google.com. Duh.
      Step 2: Enter site:www.website.com search term into the search box.* *Pay attention to the subdomain (the letters that precede a domain name, like www., blog., or info.) you enter. ...
      Step 3: Refine your search.

The one I tried was actuallyf or feltmagnet.  With variations of the search term like "art"

And this was the result I received

Your search - site:www.feltmagnet.com - did not match any documents.

Make sure that all words are spelled correctly.
      Try different keywords.
      Try more general keywords.

I'm still surprised that there's no search feature on the network sites. (Guessing there's not.)

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
        Christy Kirwanposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Hi Tinsky,

You will need to use https://feltmagnet.com and not www.feltmagnet.com for the results to show.

4. daydreams profile image97
    daydreamsposted 2 months ago

There is a search feature like someone above says. You just have to go to the relevant niche site first and then click more in the top left hand corner from the relevant niche site.

It took me a while to find...but it is there.

5. Titia profile image94
    Titiaposted 2 months ago

Maybe this is what you're looking for?
    Vertical sites

You can click on any vertical site on the right and read what kind of articles are required and when you click on the name on top of the page you get to see all the articles.

6. Jean Harris profile image87
    Jean Harrisposted 2 months ago

Hi Tinsky.

I assume your goal is to get traffic from Google? I just wanted to add that if that's your goal it doesn't matter what is on the network domains. Why not? Because Google doesn't care either. Your competition will be the top 2-3 results for your given keyword phrase.

- Can you write something more useful to visitors than those top 2-3 results?

If not then you're not likely to see much traffic from Google. If the results are all from companies like Amazon or publications like Wikipedia it's extremely tough to crack the top 2-3. I'm not doubting your skill, I'm just suggesting you not limit where you look to only the network sites because Google isn't.

Google a keyphrase, that's your competition, be realistic about your odds to beat those sites/domains and if you think you can... do.

Good luck!

1. Jean Harris profile image87
      Jean Harrisposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Also, be sure to check many keyword phrases related to your topic. Good pages receive traffic from hundreds of different keywords and phrases, not just one or two.

2. Marisa Wright profile image99
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 months agoin reply to this

I think Tinsky's objective is to determine internal competition within the vertical site.

When considering whether to accept a Hub for one of the niche sites, the editors look at saturation.  If there's already a lot of Hubs on that subject on the niche site, they may not accept the Hub even if it's very well written.

Welcome to HP by the way, I see you've already got started with some good Hubs.  One tip - check your photos.  Right now they appear to be illegal (crediting your source doesn't make it OK to use a copyright photo from a blog or website).  You sound like an experienced writer but if you need to refresh on the rules, you'll find a Hub about how to use photos on HubPages on my slider.