jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

common license question

1. RNMSN profile image88
    RNMSNposted 8 years ago

if I decide I love one of my hubs so much that I want to get a common license then do I push the button  while still in editing mode for that hub and copy/paste the license code info there? That says it is NOT for any html code...so where do I put common license code?

2. Alastore001 profile image60
    Alastore001posted 8 years ago

As far as i know there is a "HTML" button when you click edit on your capsules, which allows you to paste and edit HTML.

The "Code" capsule is for posting code as an example, not actual code to be implemented to your hub smile

1. RNMSN profile image88
      RNMSNposted 8 years agoin reply to this

ohhhh, cool, thanks Alastore001

3. LVM profile image61
    LVMposted 8 years ago

what's a common license?

1. RNMSN profile image88

there are several ypes of commona license n it keeps yur work; your work...its your copyright smile
      heres a link to read all about it  smile
      http://creativecommons.org/choose/
      I havent done it yet though...I saw maggs224 had some under her photos though...

1. RNMSN profile image88

I just got a message that said since I am newbie and all that we should not post links we have a vested interest in (like affiliates) but I dont think creative license info counts does it? I hope not...too late eh?

1. MontyApollo profile image60
          MontyApolloposted 8 years agoin reply to this

No, I don't think creativecommons.org counts as affiliate link.

As far as the original question, you cannot add a link to a picture. You can just indicate in the caption what type of license the image has. As long as it is stated, then you are granting that type of license, whether there is "code" there or not.

If you wish to use a creative commons license for the whole hub, I would just indicate so somewhere in the hub. You can use the standard link button in the editor if you wish to link to details of that particular license.

2. MontyApollo profile image60
        MontyApolloposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I didn't catch this in my earlier reply. You automatically have a copyright (in the US anyway) to any original hub that you publish.

A creative commons license is a way to grant a license to OTHER PEOPLE to use your work. You are granting rights to other people for the "common" good.

If you don't want to grant any rights to other people, then a basic copyright is all you need, and you don't need to worry about licenses.

You get a copyright the moment it is published and do not have to do anything else. If you are concerned about somebody stealing images or whatever, it may be a good idea to explicitly state that the work is copyrighted and should not be copied.

In the US you can register a copyright, but it costs $30-40 the last time I checked. A registered copyright can lead to much larger monetary penalties if someone infringes on your copyright.

4. RNMSN profile image88
    RNMSNposted 8 years ago

thank you monty now I understand!!! takes a while but I get there smile

working