jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Why do people manage to ask a HubPages question but cannot find the help section

1. simeonvisser profile image84
    simeonvisserposted 7 years ago

Why do people manage to ask a HubPages question but cannot find the help section?

This is not a complaint but a real question: some questions here are easily answered by clicking help at the top-right. What makes some of us go for the long way of asking, waiting and hopefully getting a right answer?

2. C.V.Rajan profile image78
    C.V.Rajanposted 7 years ago

IF we buy a washing machine or any such equipment, we normally get an instruction manual. It will contain many answers to our doubts and questions; it will have tips and tricks to use and also FAQs. But frankly, how many of us have the patience to refer to the manual?

Don't we try to get quicker answers from someone who knows (or someone whom we presume to know better!?)

It is a human tendency. It comes out of a little bit of laziness. We want quicker answers and we don't want to study. Perhaps it is a hangover from our school days. Reading something to learn - we don't like too much?

3. Right On Time profile image61
    Right On Timeposted 7 years ago

This question is somewhat deeper than use of Hubpages, it's about initiative really isn't it?

4. Norah Casey profile image69
    Norah Caseyposted 7 years ago

I think C.V. Rajan is absolutely right. Hubbers will often write into team or create a forum thread asking questions that can be found in the FAQ, the Learning Center, or the automated message that accompanies a violation (if that is the reason for their inquiry). There is an inherent expectation in most of us, I think, that communicating directly with another person will provide a better answer, though that is not always the case.

The best thing for veteran hubbers and HubPages staff to do is to patiently direct newbies to these resources instead of just explaining the rule to them. Finding the right link is a pain, but this way the confused party will know that there are pages upon pages of HubPages information just waiting for them to peruse. smile

5. Jon Rubin profile image58
    Jon Rubinposted 7 years ago

One reason may be because the help button is smaller and more out of the way than the answers button. Then again, there's really no accounting for people.

6. Howard S. profile image89
    Howard S.posted 7 years ago

This answer will be somewhat controversial. I sense a generational division. Those above "whatever age that happens to be" tend to trust the authority, even if they can't find the right page or section without help. The younger folks are much more into social media and look to peers for answers. They tend to look suspiciously at administration, infrastructure and officialdom.

My favorite (not from HP) is a guy who asked on an automotive forum something like: "My brake lights don't work. Since it's both sides, do you think it might be a fuse? I haven't checked that yet. I just thought I'd ask here first to see if anyone has any ideas."

7. marymac47 profile image58
    marymac47posted 7 years ago

Because the help that I need is not there! I have not been able to Post my first Hub yet!! Maybe someone is out there that can help me?

8. Youniverse World profile image61
    Youniverse Worldposted 7 years ago

I still cant fina all what I want! so tell my what is fastest way to level up hub score?