jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Linking to other websites?

1. Sinea Pies profile image77
    Sinea Piesposted 7 years ago

Linking to other websites?

I love to use links to excellent sources to enhance my writing but it concerns me that links take the readers off my page entirely.  Lately I have been staying with linking to my own hubs.  Any suggestions?  I want my readers to find my hubs to be of high value to them.

2. DaNoblest profile image61
    DaNoblestposted 7 years ago

If I want readers to keep my hub open I go into the advanced options for links within the text capsule and select the "open in new page" option from the target (I think) dropdown menu.

As for link type capsules I have not found a way to make the links open in another window yet. This would indeed be a good feature. I tend not to use link capsules often for this reason as well.

3. simeonvisser profile image85
    simeonvisserposted 7 years ago

Sometimes you have to provide a link to an external website as that is just what the reader is looking for. But if you place those links at the end of your article then anyone who wants to click on an ad (in the beginning of the article) will probably already have done so.

This means that if people decide to leave your hub then you can either let them leave through a link to your hub or to an external website. By placing the links in that order, you can drive people to related hubs by you or to external websites if that's what they're looking for.

4. Sinea Pies profile image77
    Sinea Piesposted 7 years ago

Advanced link options!  Yes!  That's what I was looking for.  Thank you, DaNoblest.

Also, Simeonvisser, your advice is also greatly appreciated.  I will be strategic about where I place them. 

Both of you.  Thanks.

5. BlissfulWriter profile image67
    BlissfulWriterposted 6 years ago

Always link to one's own hub whenever possible. 

But in addition, link to external sites when it is relevant and useful to user.  Sometimes having external links will give you a boost in the search engine rankings, as having relevant external links indicates to the search engine the type of content of your page.