jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How much is too much copied content in hubs?

1. ShyeAnne profile image91
    ShyeAnneposted 6 years ago

How much is too much copied content in hubs?

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image87
    LuisEGonzalezposted 6 years ago

It depends on what you mean?
    Generally you can post quotes, but that's about it.

3. ShyeAnne profile image91
    ShyeAnneposted 6 years ago

i Luis, I had wriiten an article on my blogger site and used that as a basic outline for the article on hubpages.  I did cut and paste a couple of definitions of things I was attempting to explain.  Most of the content was original but original to me.  Lesson learned there.  No more cut, paste and/or copy. 

Thanks for your reply.  Make it a great day.

4. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image98
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

I copy / paste quotes all the time, but they usually aren't a very large percentage of my text.  I think that there is a definite ratio of allowable copy/pasted text to original text - but HP probably isn't going to tell us what that ratio is, and I'm fine with that.

5. profile image0
    writeronlineposted 6 years ago

To me, the answer is 'virtually any'. And HP wants us to believe that, too.

But, I'm always intrigued by the dissonance between the content HP tells us is verboten, or at least likely to get a hub flagged for review, and what actually appears - and rates well.

Specifically, sometime when you're a bit bored, take a look under the Books, Writing and Literature section, (and its sub-sections). Click on the 'best' tabs, and if you're like me, be amazed at how many longstanding hubs that qualify for 'best' rating are simply collections of quotes, by famous people.

By definition, a quotation from someone else, must be copied, and many (if not all) are widely duplicated all over the net.

Yet, HP tells us that 'original, informative, hubs offering new insights or previously unknown information' are  the only ones that can be expected to reach the exalted heights of 'best in category'.

Go figure.  smile