jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What's the best way to get $500,000 to make a movie?

1. bonnebartron profile image76
    bonnebartronposted 6 years ago

What's the best way to get $500,000 to make a movie?

I have a  movie that will kick total bootay, and I have BIG actors attached.... the only set back... The economy sucks and I'm having a HARD time finding funding... Any Ideas?

2. daskittlez69 profile image75
    daskittlez69posted 6 years ago

You need to find a private investor.  There are also grants available for independent film makers but I doubt you would get the full $500,000

3. bonnebartron profile image76
    bonnebartronposted 6 years ago

That is correct Daskittiez. The grants take forever and we are shooting soon! I appreciate the suggestion with the private investor idea, but it sucks when you don't know any!

4. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 6 years ago

Film production budgets can come from angel investors, film studios, independent producers, grants from film festivals and collective private backers.  Some even turn to crowdsourcing.  There have also been a number of first-time directors who managed to finance films by getting loans from their families, investing their life savings and maxing out credit cards.

More and more filmmakers talk about having to line up a couple sources of revenue to make their production budgets instead of being able to find one single backer like they used to do.

5. I Am Rosa profile image91
    I Am Rosaposted 6 years ago

Have you tried approaching businesses about co-promotion?  Basically, you would integrate their brand via product placement in your movie in exchange for them giving you money to make your movie and promote it to their customers.

I'm not sure what your schedule is like, however if you have a couple months both IndieGoGo (http://www.indiegogo.com) and Kick Starter (http://www.kickstarter.com) were created to help artists raise funds for their projects from backers.  I doubt you'd get the full amount you're looking for, but every little bit helps.

6. LegendaryN8 profile image58
    LegendaryN8posted 6 years ago

You could make a business plan and cater it to making a movie.  I would seek out wealthy aficionados that have an interest in your pursuit and preparing a well-delivered pitch to them.

The bottom line is "why would I want to invest so much money into your idea"?  $500,000 is a lot of money to pretty much anyone, so you have to assert some surety of gain from this investment.  They will need quantitative data... and lots of it.  Stick to the facts.

Do some research to find potential investors... you will have to be diligent, but if you really feel that your idea is good (and profitable), I am sure you will take the time to find the right person (or people).

I created a hub that addresses how to make a business plan.  Please feel free to use it as a reference and ask plenty of questions!

Best of luck!

working