What are your first steps when writing an Hub?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)
  1. saitam profile image72
    saitamposted 12 years ago

What are your first steps when writing an Hub?

Do you start your hub on a paper sheet (Writing ideas and designing the lay out), or do you go straight forward to "Start a new Hub" and start writing, changing your hub whenever you get a new idea for the hub

2. Azure11 profile image85
    Azure11posted 12 years ago

I have already written a hub about this, this explains what I do http://azure11.hubpages.com/hub/Writing … -to-Finish

3. YWB profile image61
    YWBposted 12 years ago

I just started a new hub with the first two I wrote. I had a general idea what to write about when I started and I just kind of made it up as I went along.

Right now I'm working on a story which I first write in word so I have time to look at it a few times before I publish it, but still I never really map out what I write. Sometimes I roughly map the subjects, but overall it's not really my style to first map out the entire thing, a lot of my ideas I come up with while writing.

4. arunii profile image59
    aruniiposted 12 years ago

Yes i first write article in notepad than i format it in the hubpages editor. Next  I move to  "Start a new Hub" whenever i publish a new hub because the interface is so easy.

5. Time Spiral profile image79
    Time Spiralposted 12 years ago

Tried and true method to design; any type of design. This will help you to avoid the "blank paper" syndrome.

(1) Think. Think a lot. Develop the idea with thought and exploration. This is when the idea is in its most abstract form. Take advantage of that by exploring many areas of the idea. 

(2) Pen and Paper. This is somewhat of a misnomer, because you can use a digital notepad, or something similar, but the idea here is that you're working in a space that is *not the production environment* (in this case, not the Hubpages interface). I actually prefer a real pen and real paper.

(3) Once steps (1) and (2) are complete, review all the information you have and start collecting resources. Do you need to take pictures, shoot video, find statistics, cite any other works, or perform an interview? Make sure you have your external resources in place.

(4) Outline your hub. I typically do this in a note pad on the computer and have it up next to the screen when I'm writing. Your sketches will most likely be a little scattered and disorganized. In this step make sure your article flows nicely, makes sense, and is achieving its goal in its strongest form. This means deleting the weak elements of your idea and arranging the keeper ideas in the best way possible.

(5) Write your article.

(6) Read and Re-Write your article. This is the editing process. Do not be afraid to delete sections or completely re-write them. Good writing is rewriting.

(7) Hit publish, and start spreading the word.

6. zoey24 profile image76
    zoey24posted 12 years ago

I print of the relevant research and then i sit with a notepad and make notes from them. Then i write out my hub on paper, read through it, change bits i dont like and when i am satisfied i type it all up onto here, and even then i go back to it adding or changing parts smile

7. JEDIJESSICUH profile image77
    JEDIJESSICUHposted 12 years ago

I usually start my hub, whether I'm ready to write it or not. It seems that the longer you leave one unpublished, the better the score is at the time of publishing. So even if I've just gotten an idea and plan to work it out later, I will at least come up with a title and some keywords that may or may not change down the line.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)