jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)

Tags in the bag

1. Gendarme profile image60
    Gendarmeposted 7 years ago

Hello gentle folks,
    How many tags are we allowed to use? Didn't get that one right. Could someone enlighten, if it's not too much of a problem? Didn't even know their uses until a week ago! Thanks.

2. profile image0
    TMinutposted 7 years ago

Don't think there's a limit but there is advice on it. I've read on here that 10-15 is a good amount.

3. lrohner profile image82
    lrohnerposted 7 years ago

There is a limit I believe. The system just kind of stops you when you reach it.

And while many of us talk about 10-15 tags, I'm pretty sure Ryan Kett has done some testing with the maximum number of tags and has had some success. Maybe you can find his thread here in the forum from about a month or two ago.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 7 years agoin reply to this

No, I used to put the maximum number of tags.... and got it completely wrong. In fact I had no idea whatsoever how to tag at the time, and now use precisely 20 highly relevant tags. I get about 10% more page views now that I use 20 relevant tags. If I can think of 19 I force myself to find another to add, if I use 21 I force myself to delete one. Maybe that is still too many, possibly 10 or 15 would be better.... but 20 is working fine for me now.

In fact by coincidence, I used that hub linked to by Aqua above.... thats a great read for plonkers like me.

I found that if you use a stupid amount of tags, 40 or 50, hubpages will ignore many of them. My hubscores went up when I reduced the amount to 20 as well.

1. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image75
        JYOTI KOTHARIposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi Ryanket,
        Number does not matter if it is under 20 and relevant. Many times hubpages itself suggests much more than that. It is also dependent on amount of text written in that particular hub.
        Thanks,
        Jyoti Kothari

4. profile image0
    Janettaposted 7 years ago

just make sure, how ever many you use, that they are relevant to your topic. smile

5. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image75
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 7 years ago

Hi There is a limit of 40 tags in a hubpages hub. However, it is advised to use between 20 to 30 tags.

Make sure that you are using relevant tags only.

It is better to use key word frases than to use single words.

Tags make it easy to search your hubs. Search engines love key word  phrases.

Important: Do not put decieving tags or too many tags. Hub pages penalize for those.

Thanks,
    Jyoti Kothari

6. Aqua profile image79
    Aquaposted 7 years ago
  7. Gendarme profile image60

Thanks a great deal for your responses. And I was thinking that should you make a comparison, by virtue of doing so, can you mention the object in reference, even if your work is not really about it? That is, you only use it to get your point across?

8. Gendarme profile image60

Therefore tags seem more significant than I had thought. I am paying attention.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Just read the hub advised by Aqua.... that taught me everything I needed to know about tagging.

working