jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

Is it unethical to go back and edit hubs which have already seen traffic?

1. Steven Gray profile image82
    Steven Grayposted 5 years ago

Is it unethical to go back and edit hubs which have already seen traffic?

When time allows, do you go back through older hubs and check for broken links and grammatical errors?  I often find myself doing this, and sometimes rewording a paragraph or two for clarity.

Do you consider this unethical?  Even if the meaning stays the same, is it poor form to edit something which has already been commented on in its original form?  I never change the meaning of a hub after a point has been addressed in a comment, but now I'm wondering if any edits at all still violate journalistic integrity.

2. nochance profile image94
    nochanceposted 5 years ago

If I majorly edit a hub I will delete comments relating to specific points, or just delete all of the comments if I do a major overhaul.

I don't think it's exactly unethical to edit hubs because this is a website known for changes in content. It isn't like some other writing sites where you can't edit an article after you publish it.

Hubs have to be edited for broken links and relevancy because you're always going to get new viewers who want to see a well written article.

3. junkseller profile image84
    junksellerposted 5 years ago

I don't see any issue with correcting broken links or grammar/spelling errors, nor do I see any issue with more significant stylistic changes if the meaning stays the same. Sometimes I add content, but when I do so, I make sure to clearly identify that it was added after the original and mark the date it was added. If it really concerns you, perhaps you could keep the original and tack it in at the end as a footnote, so that that history is kept and can be reviewed. That sort of thing is one of the huge advantages of online content.

Honestly though, I am not sure anyone has the definitive answer. The online blog format, and the ability to publish your own content, receive comments, have dynamic links, and edit your own work, is all pretty new. I think everyone is still working out best practices. The fact that you care probably puts you above the curve.

4. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 5 years ago

Two major luxuries come with HubPages.  You can 1) Delete unwanted comments and 2) Edit Hubs at any time.  There is nothing wrong with using these features because they are allowed.  Why sweat it?  Now, if you were writing professionally for a newspaper, your errors, after publication, would require a retraction.  This is an embarrassment to the writer .  It would be nice if you get your Hub right the first time.  But we are all responsible for our writing, editing and publication.  There is nothing wrong with correcting mistakes or even deleting the Hub.  It is the writer's call.  Personally, I am no editor, so I check my work over and over again.  I don't have what it takes to be an editor, so I have to work at it harder.

5. J.S.Matthew profile image84
    J.S.Matthewposted 5 years ago

Hello Steven Gray!

Unless you personally feel like this is a horrible atrocity, editing old Hubs and adding new material is a good thing! In fact, HubPages endorses this practice. Why? Because Google likes New content and by adding to your articles and making them better (grammar, spelling, adding new photos and videos, polls, quizzes, charts, etc) you are making the quality of the content better. See more about what HubPages has to say about this: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Upda … se-traffic

I try to update old Hubs all the time and many of my oldest Hubs that weren't doing well rose in score, comments and traffic. In this day and age we have to be the best! By editing and adding good content we can ensure that we are doing our best as publishers.

I hope this helps!

1. MickiS profile image82
      MickiSposted 5 years agoin reply to this

This is an excellent answer, J.S.Matthew! Yes, we do encourage you to keep your content updated. And, yes, Google loves current, new content.

2. J.S.Matthew profile image84
      J.S.Matthewposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks MickiS! I can understand how some Hubbers would be hesitant towards change, but in this digital world, we have to change frequently to stay on top! Thanks for supporting my answer!

6. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Unethical, no not at all. In fact, I would never even have thought of that.  The writing here belongs to you, you are the sole proprietor so-to-speak.  You want the hub to be the best it can be and if you need to tweak a little here or there, that is your right and privilege.

7. WebsiteConfetti profile image65
    WebsiteConfettiposted 5 years ago

I don't think its unethical.  I've always assumed that it was just common practice to edit hubs. I have it scheduled in my organizer to edit 2 old hubs a week. This could be me rewording a paragraph or adding new content. I do this to keep it 'fresh' in the eyes of Google.

As long as the meaning of a hub has not been changed, I don't see it as an ethical. If you did want to add/edit in new content which could change the meaning of a hub, I would do so under a capsule heading 'Update May 2012'

I have done this before on other writing sites when my original pov on a  topic that I have written about has changed for various reasons.