jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why does our Hub's summary only appear 'sometimes' in Google's search results?

1. WebsiteConfetti profile image64
    WebsiteConfettiposted 5 years ago

Why does our Hub's summary only appear 'sometimes' in Google's search results?

Testing which keywords in Google ranks for my hub , I noticed that some keywords I search bring results with the summary, others just pull the Hub's intro. This is the same hub, but searching using different keywords. Does anyone know why? I haven't updated my summary in weeks,

2. NickSimpson profile image60
    NickSimpsonposted 5 years ago

Not 100% without seeing a live example, but it could just be which page Google is displaying in the results, tags pages show separately and also if there are search pages here on hubpages that your hub shows up on that might lead to some similar but different results as well.

Google search results do very wildly if you are logged in or not as well, fyi.

Just some quick ideas,

Nick

3. profile image0
    paxwillposted 5 years ago

Google determines what sample text to display based on how useful it thinks it will be to the searcher.  If your intro contains more words that match the search query, it will pull the intro rather than the summary text, which only appears in the meta section of the page.  (You can pull up your hub's source code to see the meta data in the head section...but I digress)  In some searches, it may pull text that appears in the middle of the page.

In any case, what is more weighty is the title of the hub.

4. Greekgeek profile image97
    Greekgeekposted 5 years ago

Google is trying to show relevance in its search results. When someone looks up "little neck clams," it wants to show that yes, this page covers "little neck clams." So the excerpt it shows will be the first instance of "little neck clams" in the article.

Google uses the summary -- the default description -- only if the page generally matches the search query, or if the search seems to indicate a more general intention behind the search. For example, "restaurants Little Saigon" isn't necessarily a search for a webpage matching the exact phrase "Little Saigon," it's a search for good restaurants near the searcher's location. In that case "Little Saigon" isn't as important as a general description/summary of the restaurant, so Google is more likely to show the default description/summary instead of an excerpt from further down on the page.

working