As your followers increase to hundreds, how do you decide which ones work to rea

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (20 posts)
  1. rajan jolly profile image92
    rajan jollyposted 11 years ago

As your followers increase to hundreds, how do you decide which ones work to read and comment upon?

Out of the hundreds that follow you since it is well nigh impossible to read each one's work.

2. myownlife profile image39
    myownlifeposted 11 years ago

It is good question, well, it takes time to find which of the to read and which of them to glance, as all of a sudden within five weeks I have had more than 150 great followers so still try to find more kind, great hubbers.

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 11 years ago

First you ask about followers, the people who follow a writer.  I don't read their Hubs, they read mine..

As for the people you follow, the writers you are a fan of...  I myself only follow a few dozen because there aren't that many people on this site where I want to read everything that person writes. 

I can't imagine anyone who would genuinely have the time to follow hundreds of people.

rajan jollyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your point of view, relache. Appreciate it.

4. MelChi profile image74
    MelChiposted 11 years ago

Very good question, one I'm still trying to find the answers to. There are so many good hubs out there, but I'm struggling to find time to read as much, and comment on as many as I used to. Perhaps setting aside a day in the week to go through your notifications and search for hubs to read would be a good idea..

Melchi,I agree with the idea to spare a day in the week to read other hubs and comment.

5. Trinity M profile image83
    Trinity Mposted 11 years ago

Very good question. There are several people that I follow who follow me. I make a point of reading and commenting on the hubs of those who make the same effort for me. I think you make several friends and ensure that you check out their hubs regularly and if you then have time you can read hubs that interest you from the rest of the crowd. That’s my system for now anyway… I haven’t got hundreds of followers yet smile

Thanks for the input Trinity. Appreciate it.

6. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 11 years ago

You have to be realistic if you have hundreds of writers to follow! Be selective in your choice and perhaps get round to visiting/commenting on a core number of writers who you really enjoy and get something from.

As I explore HubPages I discover great hubs that I know have been around for ages and have stood the test of time. If there are more quality hubs from the same writer I may follow them - depends on their profile and output and content.

You may be able to learn from some writers, you may pick up tips and useful advice and follow them.

This is the beauty of HubPages - the choice is yours and there's a huge amount to chose from!

Chef-de-jour, yes an infinite choice of excellent hubs we have here on hubpages. Becomes a bit of a problem when I have to choose. Thanks for answering.

7. MarleneB profile image91
    MarleneBposted 11 years ago

I like reading hubs, so I tend to read a lot of them. I select which hubs to read the same way I select which novel I'm going to read. First, the title has to grab me, and if it does, then I read the hub. I only follow people who I truly believe I'm going to enjoy reading. I actively seek out hubs of people I'm following and if their latest hub is something I am interested in reading I read it. Since I'm not following a whole slew of people, this system works well for me.

Every hubber that I'm following is not publishing hubs every day. In fact, some of the people I'm following haven't published a hub for over two months. Actually, there are only a handful of writers on my following list that I read each day. But, even if I followed hundreds of people, unless everyone was pumping out a new hub every day, I could still manage to keep up.

When I get to the point where I can't keep up, then it would be time to whittle the list down to a manageable number of readable hubs.

Marlene appreciate your point of view. Thanks.

8. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

I read hubs of people who follow me, as they are my fans. I also try to read those I follow. It never ends as  there are so many. So basically.  I read the hubs of those  whose writing I truly admire. The email notices are about those I follow, and I look for interesting topics.

I appreciate your answer brake. We have to like the topic to read a hub.

9. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 11 years ago

I follow people who have written hubs I like, and sometimes people who are entertaining and clever in the Q&A, so I see their hubs in my feed, and if the subject looks interesting, then I read it. Sometimes I see comments others have made about hubs, and that entices me to read. I like it when a hubber I like, shares hubs they like. In that way I find more and different writers to read and maybe follow. So far it hasn't become unmanageable.

As for my followers, when I get a new one, I always check out their profile and read one or two of their hubs. If I think they write about things I want to read, I follow them. If I don't follow, that doesn't mean they're not a good writer, just maybe not the subject matter I'm looking for, I try to be selective about who I follow. At the least I have become aware of that person, and remember them when I see them around the site later.

Wonderful approach Sherry. Thanks.

10. Suelynn profile image72
    Suelynnposted 11 years ago

Great question, Rajan Jolly, and one I have been pondering also.  I have been so busy writing and trying to attend to my impending move, that I sincerely want to read articles of all my new followers (and I follow them in turn, partly as a courtesy and partly because I genuinely want to read their writing), but it is not humanly possible at the moment for me.  I am now in the throes of packing up and moving countries, so I probably will be out of circulation for quite a while.  Going into a full time job as well, so I HOPE I will still be a contributor here  and a reader too.

Thanks for your observations Sue. I wish you the best in your new job and a new country. But would love to see you here as always.

11. Georgie Lowery profile image91
    Georgie Loweryposted 11 years ago

I will often choose to read a particular Hub by someone I'm following if the title catches me or it's on a topic that I like to follow. I certainly don't read every Hub by every Hubber that I'm following, and would imagine that not all of them read all of my articles. I've noticed that I'm reading Hubs on subjects that I'm not necessarily interested in and finding that I like them. Just another reason why I love this site!

I don't always comment, but I do vote up articles that I think are well written and informative.

12. Kaili Bisson profile image95
    Kaili Bissonposted 11 years ago

Hi rajan. When I receive the email for recent notifications, I always look to see who my new followers are. I then check out their profiles to see who they are and what they are about. Sometimes they are folks who are now following me because I followed them first, in which case I already would have read their profile.
    Sometimes I don't go any further than reading a profile of a follower if it doesn't seem like we have anything in common. Other times the profile isn't enough to go on, so I will have a look at a Hub or two to see how well they write and if the topics interest me. If topics are interesting and well written, I will usually follow them.
    I must admit that I have my favorites among the folks I follow, and will always read their stuff, even if I don't get to it for a few days.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)