jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

How many tags should one attach to a single hub?

1. xanzacow profile image72
    xanzacowposted 5 years ago

How many tags should one attach to a single hub?

I know we are not supposed to have inappropriate or irrelavent tags, but is there a such thing as too many relavent tags?

2. profile image0
    tigresosalposted 5 years ago

Please note that search engines can consider a highly tagged page as a spam writing with dubious intentions. Therefore, it is always advisable to go only for relevant tags with appropriate key words. As far as the number of tags is concerned, it is not exactly the number tags per se but the number of words in all the tags taken together should not be beyond 10-40 for a hub of around 500-700 words. Please remember that a tag say "Best cooking methods" is a single tag but have 3 words. So, if on the average a tag consists of 4 words, you can go for 10-15 tags for a hub of 500-700 words.

xanzacowposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Good suggestion! I will try this and tweak my tags.

3. Rebecca2904 profile image77
    Rebecca2904posted 5 years ago

I'm not an expert on this, but I've wondered the same thing myself quite often and read quite a lot of advice on the subject. What I've seen most consistently is that other people (people who seem to know what they're doing haha) suggest you have between 10-15 tags, either as words or phrases, that both sum up your article and are included within it. I've also read that if you include too many tags Google with think it's spam and will penalise you. Hope that helps! smile

Thank you, yes it does help.

4. kj force profile image72
    kj forceposted 5 years ago

Just enough for others to be able to find your works...read through the article and pick out keywords that give descript to your write.....don't really think it matters..just my opinion..

Thank you kj force! I do not want to get in trouble!

5. zsobig profile image85
    zsobigposted 5 years ago

According to my experiences, the best is if you use at max 15 of the most relevant keywords as tags. More makes more harm than good, so try not to use more than 15 words. (I don't know how long your articles are usually, this information was deducted from my hubs, which are usually 900-1000 words long).
    Additionally, it is VERY important, to use each keyword/tag AT LEAST 3-5 times in your article, as this helps you to get better places in search results. Google relies a lot on these keywords, so I guess this is the most influential thing.
    The other that can help you in achieving more hits is the good summary - but this is
    another story smile.
    Good luck!

working