jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

How do you guys avoid publishing crappy material when you haven't posted anythin

1. peachpower profile image60
    peachpowerposted 5 years ago

How do you guys avoid publishing crappy material when you haven't posted anything for a few days?

How do you control the urge to just throw something- anything- up on the site instead of feeling unproductive? Or, do you just post only to find at a later date that it really wasn't worth it because the material was substandard according to views/traffic data?

I have a feeling that this feeling of not being productive comes from being new and relatively unestablished. So I'm curious how other people got over it smile

2. Moms-Secret profile image84
    Moms-Secretposted 5 years ago

You are funny.  I don't really think that people are aware of their own crappiness.  Crappy is a hindsight lesson.  Your views and traffic are not a reflection of the quality of your work.  That has more to do with your search-ability and marketing.  Keeping your followers and having loyal commenters will let you know if you are writing quality work.  It also takes time. 

Everyone has transition hubs.  These are hubs that are written in the process of finding your passion and voice.  Good luck smile

peachpowerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks smile I just don't want to sell myself short and produce some garbage cause I have 15 extra minutes, you know? I loved the statement about transition hubs- set me at ease. Thanks for the feedback!

3. Nesbyte profile image87
    Nesbyteposted 5 years ago

This is a brilliant question. Just saying. It's really difficult. I tend to do other stuff like posting and answering questions and leaving comments. It gives you a sense you're doing something useful and sometimes provides a little inspiration for what to write next.

I am finding it difficult. As I said to Moms-Secret, I don't want to produce garbage. I also don't want to fall into the trap of watching earnings, and then start churning out bs cause I MIGHT (but prob won't if it's bad) make a buck or two. Thanks!!

2. StandingJaguar profile image78
      StandingJaguarposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I think Nesbyte has a good point. A lot of traffic for newbies comes from HubPages anyway. So even if you take a break in writing hubs, participating in the HubPages community can spread your visibility within HP and bring you more internal traffic.

4. pagesvoice profile image84
    pagesvoiceposted 5 years ago

My mom used to say, "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything" and that is the same philosophy I apply when putting together an article. Of course, I can only speak for myself, but I would prefer not to post anything versus just throwing a bunch of words together simply to have an article published.

I feel the exact same way about not just throwing something up there. I'm still realllllly new, so I'm trying reallllly hard to put out decent things. Learning curve, for sure. Thanks for your feedback, pagesvoice smile

5. rontlog profile image85
    rontlogposted 5 years ago

I too suffer from the urge to write in order to feel productive, but I recently realised that there are many ways that you can be productive on Hubpages without actually writing new hubs. For ideas take a look at my hub "How to increase traffic and earnings without writing more hubs"  The general idea is to improve your existing hubs. As an example, earlier this week I tweaked two hubs - it only took a few minutes - and I have already seen traffic and earnings double and rising. I used Hubpages TitleTuner and Keywords in Stats to help refine my titles, tags and content to more closely reflect the long tail keywords that people were using. It would have taken me several hours of researching and writing a couple of new hubs to get the same result.
    Another idea is to add photos to your existing hubs. I noticed a surge in traffic on one hub because someone on Pinterest liked one of my photos and was sharing it with others. They in turn were clicking on the photo and being sent to my hub.
    People are searching for images online as well as information. So, add some photos. I also have several blogs and have found the photos I have on there are also helping to draw people to my blogs.

Moms-secret - Transition Hubs - I love it  smile I have a couple of Hubs that I wrote to get rid of writers block and to get into the flow of writing. Not suprisingly they don't get any traffic as they are personal to me and of no interest to anyone else.

rontlog, thank you so much for all those suggestions!! The main problem I'll have with implementing them is my hubs aren't old enough to do the keyword search thing. Sighhhhh. Thanks again for the feedback!!

working