Do you write for Google or the internal Hubpage community?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Mark McClean profile image62
    Mark McCleanposted 11 years ago

Do you write for Google or the internal Hubpage community?

As I read through the Hubpage tutorials they pointed out it is best to write articles that are "Evergreen."However MANY of the articles I read on Hubpages are simple commentary seemingly directed toward their Hubpage followers.

I am beginning to think this is a strategy toward making money on Hubpages. That creating a list of followers is more important than creating a list of "Evergreen" articles.

So far I am traveling the "Evergreen path." Creating virtual writing Real estate that will pop up on Google forever.

Which path are you following and why?

2. LetitiaFT profile image73
    LetitiaFTposted 11 years ago

Since joining last year I've concentrated solely on evergreen topics, until, that is, I got back from vacation this summer and wrote three hubpage hubs. I have to say I saw my traffic jump, but it may be short-lived, or just coincidence, since some of my evergreen topics have earned some seniority in the meantime. What you want is organic traffic from Google, but boosting hub author traffic appears to boost visibility in general, and hubs about hubs certainly draws that traffic. Let us know how it goes for you.

Mark McCleanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yea, some Hubpages having no discernible evergreen content have dozens, sometimes hundreds of comments. Maybe I'll weave in a few Hubpages "for sharing."

The whole writing for Google thing kinda irks me but it is what it is.

Thanks!

2. LetitiaFT profile image73
      LetitiaFTposted 11 years agoin reply to this

FatFreddyCat is right. You still have to write what you want (and know, I would add). I look at it this way. If I'm writing here, rather than a journal or blog, it's so interested parties will read it. SEO for google helps us get it to them.

3. Mark McClean profile image62

LetitiaFT, If you wouldn't mind could you point me to an example of one of your Hubpages that was NOT written with Google in mind. Thanks

4. LetitiaFT profile image73

Hi again Mark. We're not supposed to post links to our own hubs here, but basically, 3 of my last four: hubber to hubber summer; one or two hub accounts; & hub challenge. Anything with hub in the title will be of interest to no one but fellow hub

5. Mark McClean profile image62

Thanks appreciate it. And thanks for letting me know about the links rule in this answers area!

3. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

I write for whoever finds and digs my stuff. If they happen to be random Google searchers or fellow Hubbers doesn't really matter to me.
    Google changes their search algorithms so often anyway that it's too much of a headache to keep up with it.

I'll have to say it's much more enjoyable writing what you're interested in.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image93
      FatFreddysCatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I figured out pretty quick that I wasn't going to get rich writing for this site so I just do it for fun. There are fewer headaches that way.

4. Buzzbee profile image68
    Buzzbeeposted 11 years ago

O that's an easy one! Google gives me almost nothing for my efforts, but Hubpages always does! The more I write the more I get from Hubpages....but I never see more than a penny or two a month from Google. 

It's a mystery to me...especially when I see I have a piece or two on the first page of Google. Now how I can be that good and still get no money from them?

I know of another person on Hubpages who has the same experience.
    All his money comes from Hubpages even though HE has a very definite one or two pieces on the first page of Google for his keywords!

A mystery to me.

I am happy with just making my money from Hubpages, but I wish Google would ante up and give me something as well.

After all, I do have my goldfish 'Herbert' to feed and he likes to eat ! 
    smile

1. LetitiaFT profile image73

Hi Buzzbee, in fact, the hubpages ad program includes a good share of google. Check out the learning center article: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Ad-Program Cheers.

5. tillsontitan profile image82
    tillsontitanposted 11 years ago

While its nice to get noticed on Google, its also nice to have your HubPage friends read and follow your hubs.  Its a thin line for all of us.  Sure, we try to use the correct SEO and popular topics but the best thing to do is write what you know and like and let the chips fall where they may.  If your hubs are good....they will find them (and so will Google)!

6. Laura Schneider profile image85
    Laura Schneiderposted 11 years ago

I confess... I just write about stuff that I'm interested in that I also think some other people might want to know, too, regardless of where they're from around the world. I get a lot of traffic from Google.com (USA), and HubPages followers, but I also get plenty of traffic from other Google sites around the globe--and not just the English-speaking British and Canadian sites. I write articles because it's fun to do, not to make money or cater to one group or another. Since I know I have a large ROW (Rest of the World) following, however, I am careful to use my best grammar, not use references to US-specific things, and to avoid acronyms and contractions. So far my articles have not been of a topic that will become stale over time, though new information might modify it.

7. CyclingFitness profile image90
    CyclingFitnessposted 11 years ago

Google, Google, Google all the way!

My writing will never be of interest to all but a few hubbers and that's not going to make me money. That said I write about mainly my own interests and passions which has a linking to what people may be searching on.

While it's nice to have a following on hubpages many are simply following you to increase their own worth on the site so be aware- a follower isn't always a 'follower' from my experience

If you have 100 followers- ask yourself what percentage of those people actually read on of your hubs? From my estimates it's maybe 10% from what i've seen with a lot of my hubs.

8. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 11 years ago

Hello Mark. I say you have decided on a well thought out strategy with a glance. Real Estate does have a market, even though its teeters with fluctuation today, yet I am not an expert by any means.

For me, a 'self,' I am not really sure what I will be writing on in the third year here. I know it will be less than last year. I think discovering through exploring either reading, writing, or test marketing is sound.

All the advice here I read is sound. Fat Freddy and I agree on the damn the torpedoes and full steam ahead approach. Tillsontitian (Mary) and I agree regarding followers. I am going to look into what LetitiaFT says regarding hubs about hubs. And, honestly I still do not understand an organic hub concept yet. Her score adds to her credibility as does the others too.

I agree with Laura bunches. For awhile my main flow of traffic was New Zealand and Australia. Then it started flowing to my local market being highest here in Escondido in the San Diego area. Different marketing thoughts with that. Cycling Fitness has some great advice regarding followers. How to determine whom to follow and who follows is an endeavor requiring thought of value and worth

I like Buzzbee's approach and last years adventure in writing as very much the approach of just go for it like Fat Freddy hinted. I do not know if this is worth anything or not. I had over 140 hubs at year end. Now I have 30. My score since is consistently higher and views are greater daily. It may be in flux still, I dun'no.

I did create a plan at the year beginning, approached the market as being that of Hubpages and not necessarily Google, and then learned. However, there was a twist along the way. A most delightful twist too. What was that Cat's name 'Oliver' or was that Wendell . . . now there is a thought that is odd.

tim

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)