jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

What is the etiquette here on HubPages in regards to pointing our mistakes in gr

1. LauraVerderber profile image92
    LauraVerderberposted 5 years ago

What is the etiquette here on HubPages in regards to pointing our mistakes in grammar?

I know if you point out horrible grammar and spelling on other websites you get accused of being a grammar Nazi. I'd like to think this website takes writing a bit more seriously. Is it okay to point mistakes? I would appreciate my mistakes being pointed out but would others be offended?

2. pippap profile image85
    pippapposted 5 years ago

I feel that if the critique is given in a kindly manner, there should be no problem with it.  We are all supposedly here to hone our writing skills; and, that includes spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc.  I am always happy to accept gentle criticisms.

1. Insane Mundane profile image60
      Insane Mundaneposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, but it is funny when somebody gets all mad about it.  Everybody makes mistakes, but it is the ones that are really bad with English, that should "hone" their skills on a free-hosted blog before going to an article-submit site...

3. profile image0
    il Scetticoposted 5 years ago

Many people give grammar and spelling critique privately, and post comments on the actual Hub that have to do with the its contents.  This is something I'd personally prefer because simple grammar and spelling things do not bode well for Hub traffic, or conversation.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

If the grammar, spelling and syntax are awful you can contact them privately.  I wouldn't do it in the comments section as it can be humiliating.  If the quality is really really low and it bothers you a lot, you can flag it and let the admin decide.

No, I would not be offended if it is done privately.

5. lorlie6 profile image84
    lorlie6posted 5 years ago

I absolutely agree that pointing out grammatical and spelling errors should be gently communicated-privately.  There are grammar nazis out there and they are certainly not known for their kindness!

6. Insane Mundane profile image60
    Insane Mundaneposted 5 years ago

I'm sure most people would prefer private messages about their grammatical inadequacies, but the comment field could always be used with a friendly "feel free to delete this comment after you have the made the corrections" type of message.  Personally, I rarely even bother.  If I decided to start acting as an editor on this site, it would drive me nuts!  LOL!
    What I don't understand, is the amount of folks with terrible English skills, that constantly go out and look for article-submit websites to accept their junk, while hoping to make money from their chicken scratch they call "writing."  Nowadays, everybody and their grandmother are considering themselves to be a "published author," so go figure... Some folks need to either get a real job or, if they must claim to be a "publisher" while having no grasp of the English language, go find a free-hosted blog site.