jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

What benefits do american hubbers have that uk ones dont?

1. Dannytaylor02 profile image81
    Dannytaylor02posted 5 years ago

What benefits do american hubbers have that uk ones dont?

i have a feeking im missing something but justdont know what it is?

2. Mazzy Bolero profile image76
    Mazzy Boleroposted 5 years ago

Americans will be wondering about this new British word, "feeking" smile  It leads me to the first advantage, which is that they naturally write in U.S. idiom and using U.S. spelling.  Brits try, but we sometimes get it wrong and end up somewhere drowning in mid-Atlantic.

Also, if you want to write about law, vacation destinations, politics, etc, the main audience is Americans.  You won't get as many views by writing about British law and politics. Product reviews can be problematic, too, as they may not have exactly the same products. Some things, such as new hi-tech products and movies may come out in the U.S. first, which means that U.S. writers will beat you to the review.  Writing about British stars or T.V. shows also gives you a very limited audience.

Fashion and cultural norms may be different, so writing about those things based on your own experience may not ring their bell.  You're necessarily an outsider in lots of ways.  However, Americans are usually tolerant of Brits and can be interested in reading a different experience or a different point of view. Also there are a lot of Brits on Hubpages. This means you tend to get plenty of support and encouragement from hubbers. 

However, Google is a different matter.  Google.com is the big guy, and he's definitely Stateside. He might not be so multi-cultural. Your main searchers are necessarily Americans.  You will get some traffic from google.co.uk (although I don't get traffic from anywhere these days!) but Google.com is the one with the big prizes and also the big stick.

1. Thomas Swan profile image95
      Thomas Swanposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Often it's helpful to write hubs in MS Word with the spellchecker set to american english.

2. Dannytaylor02 profile image81
      Dannytaylor02posted 5 years agoin reply to this

well "feeking" is a new word over here...we invented the language so we'll add whatever we want!!smile

Thanks mate thats a good explanation of the differences of culture.

3. Novel Treasure profile image88
    Novel Treasureposted 5 years ago

I think Mazzy has made some excellent points, to which I tend to agree with.

But as being one on the "stateside" I think one advantage UK hubbers may have that we don't is more information and detail on UK Actors and Musicians. As well as best local places to visit and how to get around. I have only been able to get "across the pond" a handful of times and would much rather hear of the places to stay, visit, eat from the local patrons than from a tour company.

I think getting it first hand from people who live there is far superior than someone selling an advertisement.

I know that Mazzy suggested we would be more interested in laws and politices from the stateside, but I think you would find that a lot of us are not happy with the current status and are looking for change and would like to get ideas from other countries besides are own.

4. Civil War Bob profile image61
    Civil War Bobposted 5 years ago

Heck....WE WERE BORN AMERICANS!!   Laugh, you cousins with those great accents!! ;{P
    If George III had not messed up, we'd be calling a "trunk" a "boot," an elevator a "lift," and have those silly spellings like "favour" like y'all do!!

working