jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

Should I comment with brutal honesty when a hub just doesn't make sense?

1. OMGirdle profile image80
    OMGirdleposted 4 years ago

Should I comment with brutal honesty when a hub just doesn't make sense?

I want others to be honest with me, when leaving comments, regarding my writing. But I don't know if others want the same. I'm not here to hurt the feelings. However, I just read a hub and I had to ask myself was I seeing it clearly.  I read it out loud and discovered it wasn't my eyes but it was truly terrible.  So I ask, what do you do?  Are you brutally honest with feedback?  I know the majority of Hubbers want feedback for improvement.  But what do you do when a hub is really bad?  I understand how to give feedback; give positive reinforcement then assist by referencing helpful tools.

2. Phenomenalapse profile image75
    Phenomenalapseposted 4 years ago

Absolutely. It's up to them whether or not they want to approve or deny the comment and honestly they should be able to correct their work or respond to your comment in a receptive way.

OMGirdleposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for responding!

3. pagesvoice profile image84
    pagesvoiceposted 4 years ago

I will not comment on something if someone can't take the time to put together a cohesive hub that isn't just a mess of words haphazardly thrown together. It's my belief that a writer, who wants feedback, should practice due diligence in the work they want read. If an author can't take the necessary steps to put forth a quality hub, then I certainly don't feel obligated to leave a comment.

4. OMGirdle profile image80
    OMGirdleposted 4 years ago

Your answers give me different perspectives.  Thank you!

5. ketage profile image82
    ketageposted 4 years ago

Yes, why not , do not expect them to approve the comment, they might be embarrassed if others saw your comment, but I am sure that your feedback would be much appreciated.

6. Elderberry Arts profile image97
    Elderberry Artsposted 4 years ago

I think that the writer should have proof read their work before publishing so it should make sense. If I have made mistakes I would prefer someone pointed them out kindly than said nothing. I have dyslexia and so can make mistakes without realising I should have been looking out for them. It helps me to become a better writer.

OMGirdleposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for responding.  I proofread my work but, for some reason, I miss mistakes.  I just can't proof read my own work.. I think my eyes make corrections my brain doesn't see.  Good point!

2. Elderberry Arts profile image97
      Elderberry Artsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I do that as well sometimes. It can help to proofread, then have a break and then proofread again later. I think because we know what we are reading because we wrote it we do sort of skip over mistake without seeing them.

working