jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Can I use noncommercial images from Flickr with adsense?

1. soulfully profile image78
    soulfullyposted 4 years ago

Can I use noncommercial images from Flickr with adsense?

I recently signed up to Flickr to find some nice pictures to use on my hubs. I'm looking for images that you can freely share so long as you give the original author credit; mainly CC images. However, I've seen some photos that are CC AND noncommercial.

My main concern is, If I use images that are for noncommercial use, does that mean I can't display adsense on my hubs too? Also, can I save the picture to my computer and add my own keywords to help with SEO?

Thanks for any help on this!

2. JamesAng12 profile image89
    JamesAng12posted 4 years ago

I would say that you will be using the images at your own risk. You can still display Adsense on your hubs, but two things may happen:
    1) In the unlucky circumstance that HubPages finds out that the images you used are for non-commercial use, Adsense might be barred from your hubs
    2) In the event that the original owner of the images finds out that you have used his/her images for commercial purposes (i.e. putting them on hubs with ads), he/she might want you to take down those images or take legal action

I actually did something like that in the past before I changed most of my hubs' images to those approved for commercial use. From my experience, I can tell you that most of the time, nothing will happen to your hubs or the ads in them, just that your hubs will not be potentially featured as Hubs of the Day.

1. soulfully profile image78
      soulfullyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for responding, James.
      I don't want hubpages taking a disliking to anything I do, so I suppose looking for pictures with just a CC would be a safer option for me. Would it be permitted to alter the keywords on those images?

2. JamesAng12 profile image89
      JamesAng12posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I've not done that before, so I can't really comment accurately on that. But from my understanding of Creative Commons' licences, I suppose the ND (no derivative works) would not allow you to do so, since you're sort of altering the original work.

3. soulfully profile image78
      soulfullyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I've sent the owner a message asking if I can alter the name of the photo so it's more search engine friendly. The current name of the picture is just a random number. I hope he responds positively. Until then I'll just use it as it is.

working