jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do HP earnings actually increase as the number of the hubs and/or followers incr

1. kalinin1158 profile image98
    kalinin1158posted 4 years ago

Do HP earnings actually increase as the number of the hubs and/or followers increase?

I know we're all doing it for the love of writing...ugh...yeah...but did anyone here actually quit their day job because they were making enough money on HP?

2. JamesAng12 profile image90
    JamesAng12posted 4 years ago

Logically speaking, your earnings would increase with your number of published hubs, followers and traffic. The more hubs you have, the more people will read them and the higher the chances of anyone clicking on your ads. But I don't think you can earn enough in HP to surpass your full-time job earnings. At least I've not come across anyone who does so far.

And yeah, I'm a university student, so I write as sort of a part-time job for me to earn some extra pocket money smile

3. chef-de-jour profile image95
    chef-de-jourposted 4 years ago

It's not so much the number of hubs but the quality and the 'market' you're aiming at.

You can for example write a shorter hub on a current 'hot' topic, or one which you'll know will be popular. Let's say the Soccer World Cup in Brazil 2014. You could write pieces for that nearer the time knowing that,once the event has ended, interest in your hubs will too!!
    You can earn some money this way in a short burst of activity. Be prepared for a sudden drop off once the excitement is over!

Write medium term hubs. These will be slightly longer than previous and on different topics that you are confident enough to handle. You may get regular traffic to these but only dribs and drabs.

Evergreen hubs will bring in traffic long term - at least that's the theory! It doesn't always work out like that but if you create 'sustainable' hubs they should bring in cash going forward. Quality is the key.

4. EricDockett profile image100
    EricDockettposted 4 years ago

Most people who make a living doing this consider HP only part of their online income.  They write on other platforms, build their own websites and blogs, and cultivate many different revenue streams.

I suppose it's mathematically possible to earn enough on HP to make a living, but even if you could do that you risk losing it all should the owners suddenly decide to shut down the site and move to the Caribbean.

5. M. T. Dremer profile image94
    M. T. Dremerposted 4 years ago

Back when I had roughly 70 hubs, I was making around $20 per month. So, I thought if I had 140 hubs, I would be making double that. However, since reaching that number, I'm lucky to get $10 per month. I've also doubled my followers since then, so that's a pretty big indicator that those numbers have no impact on earnings. It's all about how well you advertise yourself. You could make more money with 10 popular hubs than 100 mediocre ones. It all comes down to things like search engine optimization, pertinent topics and constant back-linking/advertising. It's sad, but the secret to success on HubPages has little to do with writing aptitude.

6. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 4 years ago

yes, if your hub increase and follower increase, yr earning increase by a few cents, not dollars.

working