jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)

Are images from Google "legal" to use on HP?

1. Faith Reaper profile image89
    Faith Reaperposted 4 years ago

Are images from Google "legal" to use on HP?

Is HP okay with placing Google images on our hubs?  I have seen many using just Google images and there are so many great images on Google and easy to find, but does HP consider those to be "legal" for use on our hubs? 

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8482686_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Rayne123posted 4 years ago

Hi Faith

I use images on google all the time, not sure where else to look
    I always give credit to google when I do so.

So I cant really answer that.

I am thinking it is or they would not allow it to go through would they.
    thanks
    Laurie

Faith Reaperposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Laurie.  All I have read is that we are to use those from Wikimedia commons or other legal sites otherwise it will using copyrighted images and not legal.  I know of many legal sites, but Google does have great images and easy to find.

3. J.S.Matthew profile image82
    J.S.Matthewposted 4 years ago

Short answer: NOOOOOOOO!

Here's a longer explanation: NO photos on the internet are "legally" used unless they are properly cited and actually up for use. Here are some links that give a deeper explanation from the HubPages Learning Center:

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/legal-image-use
    http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Taking-Great-Photos

Be careful! Using other's copyrighted photos is illegal!

Hope this helps!

JSMatthew~

That is what I thought!  I see many here using them and, even high-scoring hubbers, so I thought something had changed.  Even if they say they are using Google images and site it, they are not legal, is what I thought all along.

2. J.S.Matthew profile image82
      J.S.Matthewposted 4 years agoin reply to this

We only have the right to use someone else's photos if they allow us to and if we properly attribute them. You could actually get sued for copyright infringement!

JSMatthew~

3. Faith Reaper profile image89

Thanks JS, yes, exactly!  That is what I thought all along is the case.

4. The Examiner-1 profile image72
    The Examiner-1posted 4 years ago

Google has images or photos which are legal to use, and ones which are not, if you read the small print carefully to see if the copyright has been removed and they say "for public use, sharing, etc". Just be sure it does not say, "Under protected license and copyright of so-and-so".

Oh, really, thank you!  Okay, so if we find such, then we must indicate under the photo, "for public use, etc."?  Or is it okay just to put Google dot com?

2. The Examiner-1 profile image72
      The Examiner-1posted 4 years agoin reply to this

If it is positively free then you do not have to paste a source, it is just safe.
      Otherwise you have to contact the person (by phone, email, etc.) for permission to use it and then you definitely should paste who the source is, if they allowed use.

3. profile image0
      Rayne123posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Oh I never noticed that myself that fine print. I have to check for that then.
      thanks

4. Faith Reaper profile image89

Thanks so much, The Examiner, for the additional clarification!  I knew about having to contact the person, if not, and then say "used with permission."  Appreciate you!

5. The Examiner-1 profile image72
      The Examiner-1posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Rayne123
      I always read the fine print, even on Wikimedia for sometimes even they do not allow it, if I cannot find it I do not use it. In the beginning I erred but I am more careful now.

Closed to reply

working