How does one quote public domain text without getting flagged as "duplicate"?

1. UnnamedHarald profile image98
    UnnamedHaraldposted 4 years ago

How does one quote public domain text without getting flagged as "duplicate"?

I'm looking at a 100-year-old memorandum which I want to write a hub about. I searched on a few long phrases from the memo and found there are three Google-books that also quote this memorandum. I'd like to include parts of the memorandum because it is not easily available (on its own) even online.

2. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

I believe that the only time a hub gets flagged as duplicate content is if the entire hub is an exact word for word (or nearly so) copy of an article or webpage found somewhere else on the internet. If you only use parts of the memorandum as quotes in order to give the readers a reference for your own original texts, you should be fine.

3. Greensleeves Hubs profile image98
    Greensleeves Hubsposted 4 years ago

I suspect that there will be no problem as long as 2 requirements are met.

1) A significant proportion (not sure of the percentage) of the text in the hub should be your own.

2) There must be a legitimate and valid reason for quoting the text (clearly there is if you are reviewing/discussing it).

If it does get flagged, then Hubpages may review your case if you appeal to them by email. This happened to me when I published a page of funny quotations about age. At first it was flagged because of duplicate material, but clearly one cannot publish a page of quotations without duplication of the quotes. It was allowed to stay published on appeal. I think common sense prevails if you indicate a reasonable explanation for text duplication.