I've heard..... bad neighbor sites!!!

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (20 posts)
  1. mel22 profile image59
    mel22posted 14 years ago

I read on the net last night that SOME bookmarking sites ( not mentioning directly) are being considered as " bad neighbor" sites by Google and their links may be being downgraded by Googlebot based on the fact that they are being misused by siteowners as "link exchanges" and are being heavily saturated with spam sites. Anyone have a take on this. Wish I had the article to quote but can't find it.

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Links coming from "bad neighborhood" can't do you any harm. However, if YOU link to "bad neighborhood", you can get all kinds of penalties up to total delisting. So, link out wisely smile

1. mel22 profile image59
      mel22posted 14 years agoin reply to this

AHH i see.. that may be what I was reading last night. So I'm the one who has to watch who I link to, so when Bookmarking only link to your own personal websites or verified sites?

3. Paradise7 profile image69
    Paradise7posted 14 years ago

Thanks for the info guys, first I heard.

4. DevinG profile image60
    DevinGposted 14 years ago

Yes, thanks. Good to know.

5. profile image0
    TMinutposted 14 years ago

Is it against all rules to say which one(s)? Since you held back I assume it is but can you tell us where you read this? I don't even know what a bookmarking site is.

1. mel22 profile image59

I didn't mention bcuz @#$%^( not gonna mention) is hinging on every word I say  and if I throw out something not to her liking she asks for backup citing blah blah blah. Thats why i said i couldnt find the aryticle again I was reading

6. johnr54 profile image48
    johnr54posted 14 years ago

Generally speaking most of the high traffic/ PR bookmarking sites are moving towards nofollowed links anyhow, so bookmarking has far less value from an SEO standpoint than it did a year or two ago.  I don't do any of it anymore.

1. mel22 profile image59

Thanks good to know about rel=nofollow links there. In other words they drive traffic but not pagerank. Great good to know.

7. profile image53
    owner_2posted 14 years ago

How is dofollow and nofollow website effect your backlinks?Is it waste is you post in nofollow website

1. G Miah profile image78
      G Miahposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've always wanted to know this, what the hell is a 'Backlink?'

1. wyanjen profile image70
        wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

here is one of many hubs about back links.

Hubpages-backlinking-for-Dummies

go ahead and search forums & hubs, there are tons of helpful pages by helpful hubbers smile

8. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Being linked to FROM bad sites can be detrimental to your website, Matt Cutts confirmed this a few years back at a conference.  Fortunately they only have a limited impact on your website/page.

I have not heard anything specific regarding any particular bookmarking site being blaclisted, however I do know from an inside source that the subject has been under discussion for that very reason.

While Digg and so on will be unaffected, do-follow social bookmarking tools such as Mr Wong might be in trouble, as well as the social bookmarking sites which do not have an active enough user base to prevent spam topics getting a large percentage of votes.  This is not helped by the multitude of paid services which people can use to get their site to the top of the social bookmarking world.

This has actually been a pretty hot topic in recent years at many SEO conventions.  Mostly due to the fact that a large amount of social bookmarking sites are now nothing more than glorified link directories.

In the meantime however I do not think it will hurt to continue adding your website to social bookmarking utilities, although I would subscribe to some of the Google mailing lists to keep ahead of the game when it comes to SEO work.

9. xboxps3wow profile image40
    xboxps3wowposted 14 years ago

If it CAN be bad if someone from a 'bad' site links to you then i can just go and put up links of my competitors on those sites and get them delisted? Is that what you are saying? If so, google much be really dubm.

10. anglfire693 profile image63
    anglfire693posted 14 years ago

I wish you could find the article so you could tell us what sites they are...I can't afford any downranking...

1. mel22 profile image59

was a few nights ago, i can try to find it again, but don't hold your breath cuz i was surfing and it was late when I saw it

11. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

this thread is so likely to be overblown and misunderstood!

Its pretty unlikely that you will find yourself linking to "bad neighborhoods" w/o knowing about it...you wont do this by accident, you will do it on purpose most likely becuase you own the "bad neighborhood" are making great money from it, and are using naughty traffic techniques.

If being "linked to" from a bad neighborhood could truly damage your placement... than your competition could use that to delist and lower your sites ranking results

This is not likely to be true, although it is oft discussed

So far this thread has been all conjecture - "thisisoli" sounds knowledgeable, and referenced a very good source; Matt Cutts - but what was said at a seo conference years ago, should be easily found at his blog - how about a link? 

bad neighborhoods and social bookmarks has been talked about a lot lately because of teh launch of Google caffeine next year

"# Bad neighborhoods: Linking to known spammers and getting a lot of links from known spammers isn’t good for your rankings in Google’s current algorithm. The negative impact of a bad neighborhood will probably be even worse with Google Caffeine.
    # The over-all quality of your website: Google’s new algorithm probably will take a closer look at the over-all quality of your website. It’s not enough to have one or two ranking factors in place.You’ll probably need good optimized content, a good website design with a clear navigation, good inbound links, a low bounce rate, etc. The number of social bookmarks might also play an increased role."

but, it def has not been explained by google...just lots of early theories running around

12. ecogirl333 profile image56
    ecogirl333posted 14 years ago

Google Caffeine?

13. Karina S. profile image60
    Karina S.posted 14 years ago

What site?

14. profile image53
    owner_2posted 14 years ago

@echogirl

ya I've heared google caffine releases has changed the entire SEO scenario and that is why lots of SEO boosted websites based on mere links have got -ve PR by google tongue. You can look for Matt Cutts blog for details.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2zo92fr.jpg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)