jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

How do I ask authors if I could site there information?

1. shanice whitter profile image76
    shanice whitterposted 3 years ago

How do I ask authors if I could site there information?

Citation

2. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

If you're quoting only a small portion of a larger work, you really don't need their permission. Let's say you wanted to use a paragraph from one of my hubs to help explain something in yours. You can copy/paste that paragraph, use the quote feature to set it off from your other text, and then list my name and the title of my hub. Although I still retain the copyright for my work within your hub, you can use it by the "Fair Use" rule that is part of the copyright law.

That same rule applies to any other published work you want to quote. Here are things to remember:
    1. It can only be a small portion of the entire work, unless you do get permission.
    2. Always name your source - both the author's name and the title of the article, hub, book, etc.
    3. The quote should be a very small part of a larger and unique work you've written.

3. shanice whitter profile image76
    shanice whitterposted 3 years ago

Smart move Sheilamyers.What if a want to use a picture in my work? How do i get permission to use that pic.

1. profile image0
      sheilamyersposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Email or write them. Tell them what picture you want to use and how you'll be using it. They may ask for more details you can then supply.

2. shanice whitter profile image76
      shanice whitterposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks alot!

4. M. T. Dremer profile image97
    M. T. Dremerposted 3 years ago

sheilamyers pretty much nailed it. However I will say that most authors wouldn't mind so long as they are given proper credit and a back link. It would be an organic endorsement for something they did, as well as an unintentional advertisement. Blatant, uncredited stealing is what authors worry more about.

1. shanice whitter profile image76
      shanice whitterposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks alot for the extra info M. T. Dremer

working