jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Working on First Hub, can a hub be too long?

1. Deborah Judges profile image61
    Deborah Judgesposted 3 years ago

Working on First Hub, can a hub be too long?

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image98
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 3 years ago

No and yes.  No, there's no rule to say one is too long.  The more good information, the better, however, if a page is too long you sometimes might not get as many readers or comments as you might want because internet readers tend to have a short attention span.

Now don't think I know everything - you might write the most exciting page on a topic there could be.  I've only found that some of my longest pages don't get enough traffic for them to have been worth all the effort I put into them, but other persons don't feel that way at all, or I guess, have had better results than me.  I don't go much over 4 thousand words any more, and usually don't go over 2 thousand at all now.

3. profile image60
    sarandersonposted 3 years ago

I think an important thing to keep in mind, especially when writing longer hubs, is to break it into different sections. This can definitely help with short attention spans, as readers can more quickly find the information they find most useful. With that said, if you feel like your hub is getting too long, it may be because you feel the information you are now writing isn't as high quality content as when you first began.

I'm new, too, but that's just my two cents!

4. WryLilt profile image92
    WryLiltposted 3 years ago

Readers will lose interest unless it's a very niche topic they really need information on. However the average hub does best at around 1,000 words and I have a few hubs up to 2,500.

As long as you break it up with subtitles and images, and stay on topic (avoid going too broad), then you should be fine,

working