Hindsight is 20/20

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)
  1. dalady profile image91
    daladyposted 5 months ago

Thinking back to when you began writing for HP ... what do you know now, that you wish you knew then?

1. theraggededge profile image98
      theraggededgeposted 5 months agoin reply to this
        daladyposted 5 months agoin reply to this

I could only hope to have to worry about that issue one day wink

2. NateB11 profile image93
        NateB11posted 5 months agoin reply to this

+1

2. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image98
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 5 months ago

Ha, raggededge, that post was awesome! Thanks for sharing, I didn't see it earlier.

I started writing here in 2008 and what I wish I had known then is that I could be very successful there - and raggededge's link there is proof. I wish I'd stuck to writing consistently so that I could be earning much more than I am now. Just in the past year, as I've put some serious effort into my content here I've seen a lot of growth and I can't imagine how well I'd be doing now, ten years later, if I'd had been able to see into the future and focus more.

Lesson learned and onward I go!

Good for you! That’s great to hear!

I began writing here in 2007. But, I am just recently logged backed in. I also wish I hadn’t been sidetracked for so long. I am glad however, that I remembered my login info after having been gone for 7 years or so smile

3. Rochelle Frank profile image96
    Rochelle Frankposted 5 months ago

I started about 9+ years ago and am glad I didn't know anything. 
    I only knew that I had a basketfull of articles which had appeared in print publications and I  still owned the rights. Someone on another writer's site, mentioned HubPages, and I thought,"Why not? I had already been paid for the articles so I thought of adding them here and perhaps earning "coffee money" once in awhile.
    At that time things were pretty simple, not a big learning curve and the people were very friendly.  As things changed, I learned more. I feel like I have been able to change and grow along with HubPages, learning new things as I go.
    I still enjoy it . . . the interactions, the people and the earnings. The earnings are not astronomical, but far, far beyond  what I have ever could have spent on coffee. It's pretty nice to see that magical payment notice.

Ignorance is bliss and so is having articles already written and ready to go. smile

Thank you for sharing!

1. Rochelle Frank profile image96
        Rochelle Frankposted 5 months agoin reply to this

Indeed! And, of course, it did keep  me writing  new articles now and then

4. janshares profile image95
    jansharesposted 5 months ago

Probably not to worry so much about the things that really don't matter in the end, and that it all will eventually work itself out. I stressed out a lot unnecessarily for these reasons:

1. Having a low hubberscore/profile that never seemed to stabilize
    2. Not having faith in and grumbling about HP Staff making so many changes
    3. Not getting enough traffic and comments from fellow hubbers
    4. Thinking traffic and CPMs will never rise any higher
    5. Taking comments in the forums too personally and overthinking slights

I actually appreciate the learning curves and figuring out that online writing is very different than writing a paper or a presentation. I would not have understood it anyway if someone would have fed it to me in the beginning. It's the "aha" moments, in my opinion, that come gradually and help you to grasp knowledge at the right time of comprehension. There's so much I still don't understand about the technical side of this cyber-beast. But it's all good. I eventually figure it out.

Boy is that nice to read! All of those things I’ve at least cocked an eyebrow at, if not had a private moment of panic over. Thank you for sharing. I’ll certainly remind myself to remember your advice. smile

1. janshares profile image95
        jansharesposted 5 months agoin reply to this

smile My pleasure!

5. Gregory DeVictor profile image96
    Gregory DeVictorposted 5 months ago

As I live life backwards, I would like to have written shorter hubs, perhaps in the 1500-word range.

Music to my ears ...err, candy to my eyes?  smile Thank you!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)