jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)

Hindsight is 20/20

1. dalady profile image92
    daladyposted 2 months ago

Thinking back to when you began writing for HP ... what do you know now, that you wish you knew then?

1. theraggededge profile image99
      theraggededgeposted 2 months agoin reply to this
        daladyposted 2 months agoin reply to this

I could only hope to have to worry about that issue one day wink

2. NateB11 profile image94
        NateB11posted 2 months agoin reply to this

+1

2. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image98
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 2 months ago

Ha, raggededge, that post was awesome! Thanks for sharing, I didn't see it earlier.

I started writing here in 2008 and what I wish I had known then is that I could be very successful there - and raggededge's link there is proof. I wish I'd stuck to writing consistently so that I could be earning much more than I am now. Just in the past year, as I've put some serious effort into my content here I've seen a lot of growth and I can't imagine how well I'd be doing now, ten years later, if I'd had been able to see into the future and focus more.

Lesson learned and onward I go!

Good for you! That’s great to hear!

I began writing here in 2007. But, I am just recently logged backed in. I also wish I hadn’t been sidetracked for so long. I am glad however, that I remembered my login info after having been gone for 7 years or so smile

3. Rochelle Frank profile image96
    Rochelle Frankposted 2 months ago

I started about 9+ years ago and am glad I didn't know anything. 
    I only knew that I had a basketfull of articles which had appeared in print publications and I  still owned the rights. Someone on another writer's site, mentioned HubPages, and I thought,"Why not? I had already been paid for the articles so I thought of adding them here and perhaps earning "coffee money" once in awhile.
    At that time things were pretty simple, not a big learning curve and the people were very friendly.  As things changed, I learned more. I feel like I have been able to change and grow along with HubPages, learning new things as I go.
    I still enjoy it . . . the interactions, the people and the earnings. The earnings are not astronomical, but far, far beyond  what I have ever could have spent on coffee. It's pretty nice to see that magical payment notice.

Ignorance is bliss and so is having articles already written and ready to go. smile

Thank you for sharing!

1. Rochelle Frank profile image96
        Rochelle Frankposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Indeed! And, of course, it did keep  me writing  new articles now and then

4. janshares profile image95
    jansharesposted 2 months ago

Probably not to worry so much about the things that really don't matter in the end, and that it all will eventually work itself out. I stressed out a lot unnecessarily for these reasons:

1. Having a low hubberscore/profile that never seemed to stabilize
    2. Not having faith in and grumbling about HP Staff making so many changes
    3. Not getting enough traffic and comments from fellow hubbers
    4. Thinking traffic and CPMs will never rise any higher
    5. Taking comments in the forums too personally and overthinking slights

I actually appreciate the learning curves and figuring out that online writing is very different than writing a paper or a presentation. I would not have understood it anyway if someone would have fed it to me in the beginning. It's the "aha" moments, in my opinion, that come gradually and help you to grasp knowledge at the right time of comprehension. There's so much I still don't understand about the technical side of this cyber-beast. But it's all good. I eventually figure it out.

Boy is that nice to read! All of those things I’ve at least cocked an eyebrow at, if not had a private moment of panic over. Thank you for sharing. I’ll certainly remind myself to remember your advice. smile

1. janshares profile image95
        jansharesposted 2 months agoin reply to this

smile My pleasure!

5. Gregory DeVictor profile image96
    Gregory DeVictorposted 2 months ago

As I live life backwards, I would like to have written shorter hubs, perhaps in the 1500-word range.

Music to my ears ...err, candy to my eyes?  smile Thank you!

working