HP Editors: Don't Edit Quotes From Books

1. lisavollrath profile image98
    lisavollrathposted 2 weeks ago

One of my oldest articles was edited today. The article clearly states that the first section, with photos and instructions, are taken from a book I wrote in 2004. The book was published by Design Originals, a craft publishing company that was well-known at the time, and professionally edited. Since I worked for the company at the time, I know that Suzanne McNeill, the owner of the company, was one of the people who edited it.

Anything taken from a previously published book should NOT be rewritten by HP editors. Fix spelling/typing errors, but don't mess with the wording of sentences, or the formatting of instructions. I had to go in and undo all the rewriting of the section from my book. It was a waste of the HP editor's time, and a waste of mine.

Grrr....not what I was supposed to be working on this afternoon, people!

2. paperfacets profile image92
    paperfacetsposted 2 weeks ago

I suspected that this activity from the editors is happening. That is why I have not submitted a music review I wrote the day after a Beatles concert as a teenager, circa 1966. What good is an original piece if it does not remain to reflect the original experience or the trends of the specific era? "There you have it." is not what would be said in 1966. Many nuances of the era or the teenager are lost if the words are messed with.
    I am not talking about grammar. Editors change wording because they want to reflect their own notion about sensibilies, be it adding the ballbat (!) or adding a 21st century view of heart, or making sure you appear as a nonperson.
    I was going to try submission with the view that I would have to correct it as written at time of experience. A gamble and extra work for a hopeful submission.