When do you give up on an old article?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Shesabutterfly profile image95
    Shesabutterflyposted 5 years ago

At what point do you stop trying to get a specific article to the niche sites? I've been working on an article for over a year now with no luck. I've e-mailed staff to no avail and only get a generic "your article was not selected" e-mail every time I edit and try to re-submit this article.

I've posted twice in the forums about advice on this article and tried to use the ideas/advice from others to improve it, but it still has not been moved. From what I can tell, there is not much on the niche site about this topic, so I'm not sure where I should go from here.

At what point would you throw in the towel? I guess I'm just frustrated, because I've put in a lot of time and effort into this article and it was original given to me during the apprentice program many many years ago. I know standards where different then, but I've done a lot to it since it was first published and I'm still getting no where with it.

Is it better to delete articles that do not get moved, or keep them around in the hopes that it will eventually get moved?

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Is the article featured or not?  If so, post the title here so that we can see it and help you.  You obviously are doing something wrong...main reasons might be

too many links
      keyword stuffing
      poor formatting
      poor grammar and spelling
      too many ads or ads that are not relevant

Shesabutterflyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes it is featured and I've posted it a few times to get feedback, but not many people commented on it. I'd love for you to take a look if you don't mind!

The only thing I can possibly think of from your examples is keyword stuffing, but I've edited the article a few times so I think I should have fixed that. Although it still might be pretty heavy.

I did add two new sections today and a new photo, so the formating might look off now. I was just trying to incorporate some of Beth's idea's from this post. https://hubpages.com/community/forum/34 … lost-cause

Here is a link to the article. https://hubpages.com/sports/Wilderness- … c-Overview

I have not tried to resubmit the article since making some new changes today. Those changes include the 2nd photo and the two sections on moleskin and poison ivy soap (I know the subtitle for the poison ivy soap is probably not good, but I wasn't sure what to title it. Any ideas?). I also moved my last text capsule (Guide to using a wilderness first aid kit and the last two paragraphs) to the top.

Any ideas you have would be greatly appreciated! This is almost a 2500 word article so I'm really at a loss.

1. AliciaC profile image92
          AliciaCposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hi. I expect TT2 will have some good ideas for you. Your article is very useful. One thing that I noticed is that although the article isn’t classified in the health category, you’ve turned it into a health hub by stating first aid procedures for bleeding and toxin exposure. Therefore I think you need to add references for your recommendations. Another point to note is that the abbreviation CPR is generally capitalized.

The toxin bit I added today, but I will try and find some good references. What references would you suggest for the first aid procedures? Never really thought of this article as a health category, but I can see where you are coming from.

Edit: I just realized that I haven't used references in many of my articles. What is the best way to provide references. Especially when referencing YMYL topics? Should I use footnotes? Is it okay to simply put reference links in the middle of the content, either with actual links or linked words?

1. AliciaC profile image92
              AliciaCposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hi again. You’ll have to choose a site with first aid tips that make the best sense to you. I think St. John Ambulance is reliable, since they taught me first aid and they’re respected in Canada, but I don’t know how well known they are in the United States.

As far as references on YMYL articles go, all I can say is that I add them in a separate “References” section at the end of the article and they are accepted. Other methods of adding references may work as well.

You've been very helpful thank you! I was actually just looking at St. John thinking I might use them. I preferred their content and pages to Mayo & I've never been a fan of webMD.

2. Kenna McHugh profile image91
    Kenna McHughposted 5 years ago

I would not put a lot of time on it. I would not delete it. Just move on and write another article.

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

Whenever I reach an impasse with HP concerning an article, I simply move it to my own website. Even though it is a general topic website, I still find little gifts from AdSense on my back porch every now and then. Never going to get rich, but it's fun.

4. trusouldj profile image81
    trusouldjposted 5 years ago

I'm experiencing something similar.  I have two articles that have been published for three years.  Then when I went in to edit them, they were suddenly deemed substandard.  I didn't cut them in half, I added to them if anything. And after a another try, I resubmitted and got the same alert.  Which is weird because they featured several other articles of mine and  one of the so-called substandard ones seems better than a few of the featured ones.  But taking your advice, I'm going to move on.  Especially since no one cares to tell me exactly what the problem is and there is no direct email to find out ... Bless their hearts.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)