Amazon Commission Increase not Being Passed on?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 23 months ago

I see no evidence that the increases announced by Amazon for its affiliate program in April are reaching writers here.

The commission rates shown on my earning reports for March and April are nearly identical.

This is the first week of March 2022:

https://hubstatic.com/15958942.jpg

This is the first week of April 2022:

https://hubstatic.com/15958909.jpg

The average commission rate for March and April are both around 3 percent.

Is HP getting the increase? Is it keeping the increase for itself? Or can we expect an earnings adjustment down the road?

1. Matt Wells profile imageSTAFF
      Matt Wellsposted 23 months agoin reply to this

The Amazon rate increase is passed on to Hubbers.

1. Kenna McHugh profile image92
        Kenna McHughposted 23 months agoin reply to this

big_smile

2. Will Apse profile image88
        Will Apseposted 23 months agoin reply to this

This can only be true if the items in my Amazon reports are outside the categories that Amazon has given a boost to.

It is hard to make sense of Amazon's categories but it would mean that, for example, garden hand tools are not included in home or home improvement.

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
    PaulGoodman67posted 23 months ago

When the rates were slashed, it took HP a number of weeks for HP to cut theirs, so I guess we give them a little time. It's tempting to insert some of my own Amazon links, though.

You're right to ask what's happening, Will! This sort of stuff should be tackled in an official announcement: in the forums, or the email newsletter or both.

You would think that they would be in trumpeting mode: publicly celebrating and keen to publicize.

Well, personally, I am disappointed. Assuming Matt is the honest soul that he appears to be, none of Amazon's largesse is coming my way.

I should definitely join a union.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
        PaulGoodman67posted 23 months agoin reply to this

I can tell that you're miffed, because you've awoken from your slumber and posted a forum thread!

I'm p*ssed off, too. It's only a few percent, but it would make a pretty big difference to earnings.

I haven't really woken. This is just a bad dream, lol.

I'm just relieved that your ticker's holding out.smile

We can only hope that HP are currently negotiating a better rate for hubbers!

I held onto my own links (the old system) for a long time, HP still got their share, but I wasn't part of their system. Then I was persuaded to switch links to HP system. It never gained me anything, as almost immediately after that, Amazon changed their system so that the rate no longer depended on the number of products sold.

Now I'm in a situation where I'd be better off with my own/old links.

1. DrMark1961 profile image97
              DrMark1961posted 23 months agoin reply to this

The situation is so bad that I wonder if we would be better off with no links.There are so many ads though that I am not sure we would have any better page rank if the Amazon ads were removed, so at the moment  I am just leaving them.

I've gotten to the point where I just think "let the young people deal with all this cr*p". A few of them must know what they doing.

1. DrMark1961 profile image97
                  DrMark1961posted 23 months agoin reply to this

I just keep imagining a group of young people in a room somewhere saying "I bet there is some guy in Thailand that can figure out all of this crap"

So it appears we are reaping the benefits, they're just more underwhelming than we thought.

I still get a bit chunk of my earnings from Amazon, it's just not the big chunk that it used to be. My feeling is that Google/Amazon will never give us that again.

2. Will Apse profile image88

Sadly, that person is not me. I am just grateful that HP allowed me to live well in a semi-paradise for a decade and still gives me a reasonable trickle of extra income.

All things must pass.

2. Kenna McHugh profile image92

The promotional rate increase only applies to Home, Health & Personal Care, Home Improvement, Beauty, Office Products, Kitchen, Business & Industrial Supplies, Shoes, Handbags & Accessories.

Rationally, garden-related products would be included in the home category but clearly that is not the case for the stuff I get commissions for.

As far as I can tell, my stuff gets sold through "sports and outdoors".

Not many people take a hedge trimmer on a ski run.

My highest sales are "sports and outdoors" as well.

3. eugbug profile image95
    eugbugposted 23 months ago

Don't forget if any articles are more relevant to UK readers, you can use your own Amazon UK links and not have to split the commission.

Good point, eugbug.

4. Solaras profile image94
    Solarasposted 23 months ago

Amazon accounts for 5% of my earnings.  A meal for two at Burger King before any coupons have been applied.  HP earnings are 60% of what they were in December and January and 60% of what they were a year ago on an average monthly basis. 

I'd like to know how those who moved their content to their own sites 2 years ago are doing now.  I'd like to know their hard dollar earnings, since there is no law that prevents them from telling us on HP how they do overall with Media Vine or Ezoic and Amazon or whatever affiliate combined.

I'd like for someone at HP management to tell us that they have examined The Spruce and have determined why their lesser articles are kicking our's asses. I'd like a game plan from management other than, we are sucking the last yummy out of HP and preparing to toss the withered husk aside.

I see blog style articles, where content just keeps scrolling down with similar articles winning the 1st SERP spot.  I see The Spruce winning the first spot.  Why? Has anyone spoken to Google in a few years?  No word makes it seem that management believes it is a hopeless downward spiral that cannot be reversed with any action on our or their part. 

Writers here are willing to do the necessary.  Communicate with us, and we will respond accordingly.

5. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 23 months ago

I came searching to see if anyone else had seen an increase in commission rates from Amazon as many of mine have gone up a couple of percent or so.

I also noted above that home improvement items is on the list to increase, which is probably why mine went up.  Most of them are from that category.

Some went up 2%, totaling 5 or 6% commission, while Beauty Care only 1%, totaling 2% commission.

2. eugbug profile image95
      eugbugposted 23 months agoin reply to this

Some of my sales in the Home & Garden category had a 5% commission rate. However they were 3rd party sales and they can be higher anyway.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)