Yes, We are Getting Credit for All Amazon Referrals.

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (42 posts)
  1. Fiction Teller profile image61
    Fiction Tellerposted 10 years ago

Hi,

I have other accounts here (this is my forum account).  So far in the two days of Amazon earnings reports in the new HubPages-linked Amazon products, I only see products listed that I directly linked to.  Usually I earn commission from products that were bought using my affiliate links [corrected from "referral links" - thanks, Marisa!], even if they weren't the products I linked to.  In fact, this is where most of my Amazon income comes from. 

Is this a coincidence, or is it supposed to work this way with HubPages and the program is only crediting products directly linked to?

Just a bit disconcerted, as that of course would be a deal breaker for using the HubPages Earning Program for Amazon!

Thanks!

1. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for this feedback on the new program.  I, for one, am eagerly awaiting an HP response to your question.  Most of the products I sell from Amazon aren't the products I'm pushing.  When people go to Amazon, that website displays the last few items the person searched for in the past and often people will buy one of those.  If HP takes those sales instead of giving them to us, I'm not signing up for the new program.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

When you say referral links, what do you mean?

Are they links that you placed in your text?  I don't think they would be affected by the new program, because you didn't create them using HubPages' system, you got them direct from Amazon.  Have you checked your own account?

3. Matthew Meyer profile image73
      Matthew Meyerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think what you are asking about is related to how Amazon pays via their program.  The payment method is not not related to the recent change we made for how Amazon is handled for the site.

There is more detail in the blog post and FAQ related to what your options are for using your own code and not opting into the likely higher payment tier.
      http://blog.hubpages.com/2014/02/introd … n-program/
      http://hubpages.com/faq/#HubPages-Amazon-Program

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
        Glenn Stokposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Matt,

What Fiction Teller is asking is if we get paid for items that people order when they follow our link but then order something else. In other words, is this treated the same way in the HP Program as it is with Amazon Affiliate not under HP.

On my direct Amazon Affiliate reporting, my Affiliate Orders Report shows two columns:

1 - "Items Ordered Through Product Links" - These relate to the specific items we list in the link to Amazon.

2 - "All Other Items Ordered" - These are items people ended up ordering while browsing around Amazon after following our link.

That means that under the Amazon Affiliate Program (direct with Amazon) we get paid for orders even if the visitor ordered something else.

But is this true with the Amazon HP Earnings Program too?

This is questionable because with the HP Earnings Program our "Amazon Program Earnings" report only shows a column for "Items Ordered" - Does this represent all orders (specified items and other items)?

If so, it would be nice to show individual columns like Amazon does in their Affiliate program.

If not, then we are not getting paid for "Other Items" under the HP Program. This needs to be made known. I hope I clarified the question for you.

Looks like we are not going to get an answer to this today.  I posted a link to this thread here:
          http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/120171? … ost2545658

No answer there either.

Glad I waited to sign up.  It never occurred to me that all product sales wouldn't be included in the HP program.

See my prior post. I have the answer there. I was posting at the same time as you. smile

Oh, good.  Since I haven't signed up yet for the HP program, when you refer to the "Amazon Sales Report", is that on the HP site or the Amazon site?

I'm talking about the Amazon Sales Report here on HubPages. It's under your Earnings tab. But you might not see it if you didn't sign up for Amazon under the HP Earnings Program yet.

Does it list everything just like the report on the Amazon site does?

No it does not. I complained about that in my post above in this thread. Amazon Affiliate on their site had shown the total counts for items we specified AND for other items that were ordered via our referral. In the HP Amazon program, HP only shows the total combined. That's why this question came up.   But now that I see a sale of an item I did not specify in an Amazon Capsule, I have proof that HP is paying us just as Amazon did. Only the reporting needs to be made to match, to avoid other people wondering.

2. Will Apse profile image87
              Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are not paranoid or gullible enough to last long on this site. Glen.

Just my personal prediction.

I have no idea what you mean by that.

1. Will Apse profile image87

That is rather wonderful, lol.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
                Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Considering Glenn has been here for 4 years, I think you're a bit late (and wrong) with your prediction.   If I understood what you meant, which I don't.

4. aa lite profile image84
      aa liteposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have finally had a sale through the HP program (after 111 clicks, great conversion rate! Not!). But now your question is really confusing me. All I can see on my HP Amazon report is number of items ordered, and 'ordered revenue' which I actually assume is the price of the item. 

How do you see what the ordered item actually is?

You say "I only see products listed that I directly linked to." Where do you actually see these products?

Click on the Amazon Sales Report. That shows the individual items ordered.

The Amazon Earnings Report only shows totals.

I actually just see a sale for an item I didn't include in a capsule. So I got the answer to my last post. We do get paid for alternate sales, too, that are a result of someone clicking from our Amazon capsule.

To answer your other questions, the revenue is the cost of the item and the earnings shows what we get.

I'm also glad to see that I'm getting paid in the 8.25% tier. Much better than 6% that I was getting on my own Affiliate account.

1. aa lite profile image84
          aa liteposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Glenn. I had an item ordered, but not shipped yet, so I don't see anything in my Sales Report. Hopefully that will change tonight. Just my luck that as soon as I switched to HP, my conversion rate fell through the roof. But I'm trying not to get paranoid, I had fallow periods when I was on Amazon as well.

I see the total count of orders in my "Amazon Program Earnings" report listed for the day they order. But the specific item only shows up in the "sales report" when it ships.

5. Organised Kaos profile image88
      Organised Kaosposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am glad to read that we are paid for any purchases that are made, once a customer is on Amazon. There is another positive of changing to Hubpages Amazon for me, as I am from Aus. I had to have a cheque issued to be paid by Amazon at a cost of $15. So I am assuming that payment will now be via hubpages and paypal - so a saving for me!

6. Matthew Meyer profile image73

I did some research and confirmed that you should be paid for items purchased by readers other than those directly specified in the Hub.

It may be something that could benefit from a change in our reporting, so I am touching base with our engineering team to see if there is something we can clarify.

Thanks Matt. I would say that if the "total orders" column were to be divided into two columns just as Amazon does in the reporting under the direct affiliate accounts, then this would be clearer. Question is: are they combing the two together when they send you the information? If that's the case, then I can understand the problem reporting it individually.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image73

The reporting system that Amazon provides to support such a large number of tracking IDs is a a little different than the standard one.  Unfortunately, it does not distinguish between "Items Ordered Through Product Links" and "All Other items Ordered", and therefore we can't provide that information in our sales report.

I suspected that might be the case. Thanks for checking into it though. The specific items show up in the "sales report" when it ships, so Hubbers can see how many are other items that way.

By the way, I'm very happy with the HP Earnings Program version of Amazon because my first order was at the 8.25% tier and today I had two in the 8.5% tier. I was only in the  6% tier when I was on my own.

1. wilderness profile image95
              wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Same here - two in the 8.5% tier, the first in the new program (just switched over).  I've not seen that tier before, ever.

2. Fiction Teller profile image61

Marisa, I'm sorry, I don't understand your question.  These are affiliate links from regular capsules or HubPages-created text links that automatically converted with the new program.  (Wait, I think maybe my use of "referral" instead of "affiliate" links caused the confusion?  Sorry about that.)

Still a bit confused, though.  What do you mean by "Have you checked your own account?"

I checked my Amazon account.  It credited me with one sale from text links I had placed on my own.  All good.  There aren't too many of those.

I checked my HubPages Amazon earnings account.  It credited me with just 4 sales in 2 days.  I average a good many more sales per day than that.  This discrepancy could of course be a weird coincidence, a product of Valentine's Day, or the fact that there might be a delay in HubPages' processing of some earnings - for example, they might just be processing items sent, not items ordered, and in a day or two I'll be seeing normal numbers. 

But not just the number of sales was odd, but the fact that ALL of them were from actual products I'd linked to.  Something's off there. 

I'll assume it was coincidence or a technical problem just on my account if many others come forth here and say "Hey, I'm getting sales from items I didn't directly link to - so it's just you."  So if anyone does have items they didn't link to directly being credited, could you post here? 

HubPages probably doesn't have staff working this weekend and it would be great to get an idea of the scale of the problem (just me or lotsa folks) before Monday.

3. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 10 years ago

I'd be interested to know too.
    My sales this month have been terrible, even worse than when my traffic was half of what it is now, but I still got 3 times as many clicks through to Amazon per day, as what HP are reporting.

4. Good Guy profile image84
    Good Guyposted 10 years ago

Don't know whether this is pertinent here.  I signed up for the Hp/Amazon program.  My newly published hub did not show any Amazon ad.  The standard adsense ad on top right (below hub photo) also did not appear. 
    Do i need to put in the Amazon capsule myself like before?

Same as before, as regards creating the page. You choose the ads.

1. Good Guy profile image84
        Good Guyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, but strange, as for adsense we don't have to do anything.

To be honest, unless you make a page from scratch with certain products in mind to place on it, you are not likely to sell much.

Using amazon ads that readers never click can be harmful.

1. Good Guy profile image84
            Good Guyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

My experience is that I got pd several times, after a few months.

Sounds good. I would not over do it. Or get greedy.

5. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

Does anyone have the answer to the original question yet?

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

This one will have to come from the team, but I can honestly say that in the last two years I have made less than $4 from Amazon and lately, even before the change, have made not one cent.  With more than 100 hubs online you would think somebody would click on an ad at east once in awhile!

6. The Zen Mistress profile image70
    The Zen Mistressposted 10 years ago

I'm still new, so I'm not sure if I'm just doing something wrong or there is an actual problem. Before I switched to the new HP Amazon Program vs. the Amazon Affiliate Program, I had a sale from a click-thru on my page. The purchase included one item I had advertised on my page, plus another additional item. But as far as HP is concerned, there's been no activity whatsoever - no clicks, no purchases. This cannot be true because it says otherwise on the Amazon side.

I'm even less sure about whether the new program is working properly. I'm not the most tech savvy person out there, and I find a lot of the ad-related setup (outside of putting the links in your Hubs) confusing and nebulous, like I'm hoping I'm doing it right but never really sure because ultimately, it's all ones and zeros in the ether. *Sigh*

7. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

"Are We Getting Credit for All Amazon Referrals?"

Hopefully, the https://hubpages.com/my/earnings/amazon format will be as the https://hubpages.com/my/earnings/ebay format. If so, one will find out soon enough...

Yes we are. See my recent post in this thread.

8. Fiction Teller profile image61

Thanks all.  Yes, now I'm showing more than just directly-linked-to items.  Data and numbers are now following typical Amazon patterns for items shipped.  The early reports appear to have been a coincidence after all.   

I sincerely apologize for any discomfort my thread may have wrought to potential participants to the program.  Since the great Summer of Plunge, I've become hyper-vigilant about clinging to the income our family has left.  Don't want anything more to go wrong; know it will; keep hoping it won't.  Etc., etc.

HubPages:  For the record if you do add more features, I would also be interested in other data provided by Amazon, specifically the items clicked but not ordered.  Those not only give me clues as to the success of a link or lack thereof, but also alert me to outdated links.

I, for one, am really glad you asked the question and I appreciate your feedback about how the new program is working for you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)